300 DOLLAR QUESTION

3 replies to this topic
  • Moto-Mike

Posted February 10, 2000 - 03:21 PM

Hi Guys-
I will be taking delivery of a 2000 WR400 -
within the nest couple of weeks!! I have set aside an extra 300 dollars for modifications if necessary or I could just spend the cash on new riding gear. I ride primarily off-road anything from tight eastern enduros to grass-track harescramble courses. What do you guys think? Are there any must have modifications? Thanks

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted February 10, 2000 - 03:57 PM

1) YZ timing - Free
2) Airbox cover removal - Free
3) Pipe and header ($400)
4) IMS YZ seat and tank ($300).

You can make it handle or have power, but can't do both for $300. Maybe remove the baffle to get by.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RodH

Posted February 10, 2000 - 04:19 PM

You guys are lucky over there !!!
In Australia modifications will cost:

Pipe and header = $900
IMS seat and tank =$700
:)

I feel that you should have good riding gear before making it go faster, as the extra speed is no good to you if you are laid up from injuries that may have been prevented. Of course you can never be fully protected, but I have seen some minour crashes that could have been very serious ones.
One particular one was a friend who went over the handle bars and his bike landed on top of him. The roost chest protector stopped the footpeg going through hist chest.

------------------
R o d. H.
Canberra, Australia
www.400thumpers.oz-au.com

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted February 10, 2000 - 04:45 PM

I am unsure about the performance of your exhaust system. My '99 is so choked off it's a joke. I am waiting for FMF's new Power Core IV/2 w/ Power Bomb header pipe. I do not know if the seating arrangement is better than the '99, but I know my seat sucks and the seat/tank junction is also poor. A lot of the guys are swapping their seats/tanks w/ a YZF setup. IMS sells an oversize tank for the YZF, but you need a YZF seat for it. IMS also sells a YZF seat. If you can, try to snag a YZF seat (and tank?) from the dealer at DEALER COST or "No Deal!!". It's worth a shot. It worked for me and my 1980 Yamaha YZ-465.
Those are really my only gripes. New Honda bend bars would be nice. A real engine skid plate that actually protects the engine AND frame would be a must have or you will be replacing damaged cases and maybe tranny parts too. This would be a lot more expensive repair than an $80.00 skid plate!
Food for thought.

I will be taking delivery of a 2000 WR400 -
within the nest couple of weeks!! I have set aside an extra 300 dollars for modifications if necessary or I could just spend the cash on new riding gear. I ride primarily off-road anything from tight eastern enduros to grass-track harescramble courses. What do you guys think? Are there any must have modifications? Thanks[/B][/QUOTE]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.