Shims???

16 replies to this topic
  • battybluecb

Posted June 21, 2007 - 12:54 PM

My buddy has a shim kit (- 2 shims) for his 06 crf450. Does anyone know if they will work in my 07 yzf450. Other than that what else am i going to need other than...feelers, my manual, some assembly grease(?brand or kind?), sockets, a torque wrench and some beer. Any help would be great. Thanks, Kyle

• battybluecb

Posted June 21, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Update I called motosport and they said they were the same....

• Mike546

Posted June 21, 2007 - 02:07 PM

One word of advise, use the chart in the owners manual when trying to figure out the correct shim to use. If your off one decimal point it means your taking the cams back out again.

• Markopolo400

Posted June 21, 2007 - 03:33 PM

All the 450s use the same shims. (I believe that they are 9.78mm in diameter) And all the 250fs use the same shims (7.78mm diameter).

• battybluecb

Posted June 21, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Ill prob do it this week sometime after work. I mean come on cant tear apart the bike on a weekend. Ill let you know how i make out. Thanks again guys.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2007 - 04:25 PM

The diameters are 9.48 and 7.48mm, but otherwise, you're correct, they are interchangeable.

Honda genuine shims are also available in increments of .025, which is half of Yamaha's .05mm service shim increment. Occasionally, that's handy.

• kyle450rider

Posted June 22, 2007 - 01:14 AM

yah have fun if its your first time on the yamaha.I think hondas unicam is a thing of beauty comared to the twin cam on the yamaha.Also remember that yamaha runs there valve clearance on the tight side.

• battybluecb

Posted June 22, 2007 - 02:37 AM

Ok, so how tight for example the valve clearance for the intake valve says .0039~.0059 For my first time i was going to run middle .0049 Do you think i should run .0039 or close too. The last thing i want to do is run them too tight. Thanks guys!!! Kyle

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FLjoyride

Posted June 22, 2007 - 03:49 AM

I use the highest first, so you would use your gage closest to .0059. If none of them fit then switch to the gage closest to .0039, if all of those fit then your in the range and good to go.

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2007 - 07:54 AM

I think hondas unicam is a thing of beauty comared to the twin cam on the yamaha.

You obviously haven't done one.

• Markopolo400

Posted June 22, 2007 - 08:07 AM

The diameters are 9.48 and 7.48mm, but otherwise, you're correct, they are interchangeable.

Whoops...I was close though.

• kyle450rider

Posted June 22, 2007 - 08:16 PM

You obviously haven't done one.

I have done both and just thought that the honda was a lot easier to do.IMO.

• brolo747

Posted June 23, 2007 - 01:53 AM

Who cares which is easier or better it's just a pain in the ass imo just like changing a tire with spoons... a lot of work for something that you can just take to the shop and have done... quick... I know I'm lazy but I do clutches and magnetos/stators and rebuild 2-smokes I just think if it's something simple like that, that somebody can do for you in a couple hrs while you are at work. Might as well let 'em. IMO....:thumbsup: Unless of course you don't have the money and it needs to get done..... (which actually happens to me a lot..... doh.... :thumbsdown:

• battybluecb

Posted June 24, 2007 - 06:49 AM

I dont understand if it something simple you think you would just do it yourself. Yeah i agree changing tires are a bitch and i wont touch them just because i dont want to scratch up my excell rims or pop the tube and have to do it all over again. But something easy that will take to an hour or so, Ill do myself. By the time your done getting up early before work loading your bike droping it off wating a couple days and then picking it up. Its going to consume more of your time then just doing it yourself. Not to mention some of us dont even know what dumbass is working on your bike. I dont know about you but i feel good about myself when i do and learn new stuff. Just my insite. Thanks a ton for all the help guys im deff going to do it myself. :thumbsup:

• rmcobbs156

Posted March 15, 2010 - 06:04 AM

I need the valve specs for 2005 YZF450? Cant find them anywhere.

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2010 - 08:50 AM

You haven't really looked very hard.

Download a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

...familiarize yourself with the common threads sticky, and learn to use the search function, especially the advanced search.

Meanwhile;

Intakes: .10-.15mm (.004-.006")
Exhausts: .20-.25mm (.008-.010")

• Brawg

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:03 PM

Ok, so how tight for example the valve clearance for the intake valve says .0039~.0059 For my first time i was going to run middle .0049 Do you think i should run .0039 or close too. The last thing i want to do is run them too tight. Thanks guys!!! Kyle

just did mine...i was advised to leave them to the tight end of the spectrum. I would say you shouldnt be able to get a .004 in there and call it good. Also, what were they before you pulled them apart? If they were within the specs, dont mess with them. (MHO)

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.