Should my rocker arms have lateral play?

6 replies to this topic
  • bigtooth

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:08 AM

....I adjusted my valves this morning for like the third time in a week. The 650r is pretty new to me and I went with some advice I had seen here alot and that was to adjust your valves on the loose side.....but the ticking that was produced when doing this was unbareable. Once I was in there again this morning I noticed that my intake rocker arms had a bit of side to side movment, is this normal? Damn I hope so.

TIA

• Kawabuggy

Posted June 21, 2007 - 09:50 AM

I don't have your bike-I have the XR600. But, yes, there is a little bit of lateral movement to the rockers. Not much maybe .020"-.030" or so. When I replaced my rockers (all 4 at the same time) I noticed there was a wave plate (wavy washer) that acted like a spring to keep the rocker over to one side. Since that "spring" had some give to it, I could still easily push the rocker back and forth on the pivot bolt.

• bigtooth

Posted June 21, 2007 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Kawa! that makes sense. I could see something in there that look liked a spring that was flexing. And now I see it in the parts listing. Thanks for the reply.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted June 21, 2007 - 11:16 AM

....I adjusted my valves this morning for like the third time in a week. The 650r is pretty new to me and I went with some advice I had seen here alot and that was to adjust your valves on the loose side.....but the ticking that was produced when doing this was unbareable.
TIA

The rocker clearances need to be as accurate as possible, just a little too loose, clickety-clack.

• Cactus Dave

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hearing your valves (a little) is a good thing. Silent valves usually mean the entire unit will be silent shortly . . . .

• bigtooth

Posted June 22, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Should the noise sound like a very noticable ticking from the top end? Also can you hurt your motor if there to loose, but the thing still pulls like hell? Can the auto decompresser unit make this noise?

• captb

Posted June 22, 2007 - 09:40 AM

I set mine by the book no noise from the top end, it's 5 years old, but if while checking the settings you move the flywheel backwards even a hair it will go into auto decompression mode and your settings will be wrong (you will set them loose because it's starting to open the exhaust valve. If you go past the mark you must go around again ( takes me 5 trys sometimes mine likes to go past the mark easy)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.