Throttle cables....whats the deal with that?

2 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 25, 2000 - 06:44 PM

Has anyone had problems with their return throttle cable fraying down by the carb? Ive replaced mine twice now and I have a bud that has a YZ that does the same thing. Whats the fix? (mabye its a Missouri thing, Ive never heard anyone else complain about it)

------------------
Milkman
WR400F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Harry_in_Oz

Posted February 26, 2000 - 02:21 AM

This the most common and annoying problem we have. There are better aftermarket cables available. The most important fix involves bending the brackets that the adjusters fit on so that the cable is not dragged across the edge of the outer. It is possible to line them up on the pully. I thought that the return cable may be worse because it is constantly under tension so I fitted a stop to the throttle twist grip. Just loosen the return cable at the throttle so that you have excess play in the pull cable. Wind the adjuster about half way in on the pull cable so that you have plenty of adjustment in either direction. Turn the twist grip so that there is just tension on the pull cable. Mark this position on the grip and housing opposite. Take the cables out of the twist grip. (All off the bike) You need to place two pop rivets, one on either side of the cable, in the housing so that the plastic cable pully "stops" by hitting the rivets. I put small 1/8 rivets in from the sides, it could be possible to put them in side by side on the bottom of the housing. Come to think of it , you probably only need one rivet. Once you have done this you can run with just the pull cable if you need or want to. When you reinstall the return cable, tension it so that it is just loose at idle. The pull cable can now be adjusted against the new "stop" for free play. Email direct if you need help following the directions.
Emails are via profiles.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 26, 2000 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Harry, Ill try that out as soon as I get my bike back together. (Im giving it the Hurricane Hannah yellow retro look) :)

------------------
Milkman
WR400F

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.