03 450 A Worthy Trail Bike Or Replace It

7 replies to this topic
  • HANDSOME

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:23 AM

I would like to do some trail riding but most of the trails around here are punched out by quads (rough and tight ). I was wondering if a Rekluse clutch is the way to go or would I have to do a lot more ? I really like my bike as its in great shape and has all that power and if I do replace it I need to find something of similar value .

• Maximus83

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:20 AM

I ride my '05 450 in similar woods all the time with the stock clutch. I rarely stall the bike but keeping the bike moving and air flow over the engine is a must. If your holding the clutch in contantly or allowing the bike to idle in still air, the bike is going to over heat really fast. It is def. not the best bike for the woods but it works for me as I ride a little of both; mx and trails. To make it a real woods bike you'd add the rekluse (if thats your thing), add a flyweight to keep the RPMS up when your slow, and some big radiators to combat over heating, and maybe a larger fuel tank. Either that or just get a WR

• cbrewer450

Posted June 21, 2007 - 12:32 PM

I have an 03 and love it in the trails. All I ride. I just put an IMS tank on now I can go for miles. A rekluse clutch would make a great bit of difference. But I do love it the way it is.

• Type Gendy

Posted July 10, 2007 - 01:00 PM

I'm sorta facing the same situation but with my 426. I seem to ride tight, knarly trails 80% of the time. Biggest problem i face is trying to keep it from getting to hot and stalling it in slow stuff. I was really close to selling it and getting a 450x last week, but on second thoughts i may keep it and gear it down... Havent been hearing great things about hondas :|

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 10, 2007 - 01:26 PM

I would like to do some trail riding but most of the trails around here are punched out by quads (rough and tight ). I was wondering if a Rekluse clutch is the way to go or would I have to do a lot more ? I really like my bike as its in great shape and has all that power and if I do replace it I need to find something of similar value .

Trails where u are and trails in Ca are way opposite.....I hate my 03 in woods here in Ga. We have very tight trails here. Even stock the 03 is just a beast to deal with....way too much power, wheel spin and weight/handling for me to enjoy as a woods bike.....I would not waste $ on a new clutch , flywheel weight or any of it.....buts thats my opinion.
For MX yep....tight woods/trails nope.........Hillclimbs, open terrain, dunes yep
I would keep the 450 for tracks and buy a cheap 250 2smoker build it, flywheel weight it, and suspend it for the woods......or buy a KTM. :thumbsup:

• yz_for_me

Posted July 10, 2007 - 03:18 PM

I have an '03 with a Rekluse and a heavyier flywheel that I ride MX and trails with. It's a great MX bike and an decent trail bike. Keep in mind the trails I ride are pretty open. It can be a real handfull in tight stuff. The Rekluse and flywheel combo helps a TON for the tight/technical stuff, but even so the '03-'05 450's weren't exactly known for being nimble. If you're looking to ride trails exclusively, I think you could find one better suited. If you ride a lot of MX as well, the '03 450 can be made to work on the trails.

• flintlock28

Posted July 10, 2007 - 04:25 PM

I have an 04' and ride both track and trails. Add a flywheel weight (Use 6 oz. or 8 oz. heavier than stock), Use Engine Ice as a replacement for the standard Water/Glycol mix, add a skid plate, and you have a relatively decent trail bike.

• yz4fun

Posted July 10, 2007 - 08:03 PM

I have a 04 450 that i just put a gyt-r off road fww on and what a difference.we have some pretty tight stuff here in WA.ST.Am gearing up one tooth in the rear,should be good.i have both the 250 2 smoke & the 450 and i realy dont notice the weight issue.power is a different story

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.