No Maintenance?

8 replies to this topic
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted February 10, 2000 - 04:21 AM

By the looks of this section (empty), no one is performing maintenance on their rides. :)

Someone has to start a maintenance thread, so here is goes:
How many hours/miles did you have on your motor before you had to adjust valve clearance?

• ray_lebreton

Posted February 10, 2000 - 04:41 PM

By the looks of this section (empty), no one is performing maintenance on their rides.
Someone has to start a maintenance thread, so here is goes:
How many hours/miles did you have on your motor before you had to adjust valve clearance?

• Bryan

Posted February 12, 2000 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for starting it out Ron.
I know the owners manual says to check the clearance right away. But, I waited until I had about 800 miles on my bike.
I paid 90 bucks and had my dealership check the clearance. They said it was fine.
I checked it again myself at 1700 miles and all 5 valves were way tight. I ended up adjusting them myself.
So, either the valves got tight in 900 miles or the dealership didn't want to adjust them or didn't know how to check them.
I'm glad I adjusted myself because now I can save money AND be sure the job is done right.
If I had to do it again, I would ride the bike about 500 miles and check the clearance myself. Checking the clearance is pretty easy. Then if you don't want to attempt the adjustment (if it needs it), the dealer can do that and you can check the clearance again when they are done.
Just be sure the job is done right.
Bryan...

[This message has been edited by Bryan (edited 02-12-2000).]

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted February 12, 2000 - 11:11 PM

1998 model delivered Nov 98 (after it was gently broken in by my dealer, a fifty year old gent, on a quiet six day ride in the Alps. Silver medal 1998 ISDE)
I checked my valve clearances after 12 months. They were fine. I may make it a regular thing, someone remind me this time next year.
So far I have replaced steering-head bearings, all wheel bearings and swingarm bearings and two spark plugs.
I change the oil every couple of rides, I use a synthetic 30/70. I have replaced the fork oil four times. The forks are hard on oil, it goes in clear and comes out blackish. Each time I used a lighter oil. At 1.5 weight I can actually use a click or two of compression. I have worn out four rear tyres and one front. I run super thick heavy duty tubes with latex sealant. Oh yea I replaced a counter shaft seal. The trick is to replace the old seal on top of the new, then replace the seal retainer. Put that in the Tech section.
Otherwise I wash it, clean the air filter, apply armourall and fill the tank.
As you can see I'm serious about maintainance. This bike could just spoil me.
Harry!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Harry_in_Oz

Posted February 12, 2000 - 11:11 PM

1998 model delivered Nov 98 (after it was gently broken in by my dealer, a fifty year old gent, on a quiet six day ride in the Alps. Silver medal 1998 ISDE)
I checked my valve clearances after 12 months. They were fine. I may make it a regular thing, someone remind me this time next year.
So far I have replaced steering-head bearings, all wheel bearings and swingarm bearings and two spark plugs.
I change the oil every couple of rides, I use a synthetic 30/70. I have replaced the fork oil four times. The forks are hard on oil, it goes in clear and comes out blackish. Each time I used a lighter oil. At 1.5 weight I can actually use a click or two of compression. I have worn out four rear tyres and one front. I run super thick heavy duty tubes with latex sealant. Oh yea I replaced a counter shaft seal. The trick is to replace the old seal on top of the new, then replace the seal retainer. Put that in the Tech section.
Otherwise I wash it, clean the air filter, apply armourall and fill the tank.
As you can see I'm serious about maintainance. This bike could just spoil me.
Harry!!

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted February 12, 2000 - 11:12 PM

How did it do that? and where are my smilies?

• wahlau

Posted February 14, 2000 - 07:08 AM

hi Bryan
u got the steps in detail on how to
check and adjust the valves??
thx a lot!

• nahbeh

Posted February 14, 2000 - 07:28 PM

Bryan,Harry...whoever

All my five valves are abit tight. can you all kindly post in detail how should i go about doing it to put it in correct order? Do i need any special tools for it? :) Yup, i have the factory manual.

• Dougie

Posted February 16, 2000 - 12:43 AM

I had my valves done after my third ride. The dealer said they were tight but how would I know. I just recently checked the valves for the second time (1800 miles) and they were tight again. I did this myself and apparently didn't get it done correctly. A give away is the sound of air escaping when the kickstarter is moved. It is like an slow "exhauling" sound. My bike is currently at the dealer who is going to show me how to do it correctly Thursday. Checking them was easy and I changed the shims while I went to YZ timing. I didn't like have to pull the cams and taking a chance of loosing the clips or shims down the engine. Luckily that did not happen. But it kicked my bloodpressure up during the procedure. Keep in mind an incorrectly done valve job could do some serious damage to your engine. Possibly bending the valves themselves. I'll try again next time as practice makes perfect. But sometimes it is easier to pay the $ to get it done right.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: Race Tech Suspension, YZ Timing, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.