Spark Plug Cleaning

4 replies to this topic
  • Nige_Uk

Posted February 17, 2002 - 10:13 PM

I know this sounds like a daft topic, but some of those fancy plugs out there get damaged real easy.
A bike mechanic (& good friend !) has told me that by wire brushing some types of plugs damages them.
What do you lads do ? - Clean or pop a new one in (can get rather expensive when messing with the jetting & sooting the plugs up !!) :)

Nige

• Taffy

Posted February 17, 2002 - 11:53 PM

stick them over the gas cooker for 5 mins. at first they burn blue but after two or three minutes they burn orange and that's what cleans them up.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nige_Uk

Posted February 18, 2002 - 01:51 AM

Cheers, looks like I'm Cooking tonight !!!

Nige

• The_Missile

Posted February 18, 2002 - 03:10 AM

I can vouch for that but note that the plug will turn 'white' as per a hot running lean condition spark plug. No problem, but beware if you rejet and examine this re-used plug, dont to be fooled by the white tinge.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted February 18, 2002 - 04:48 AM

If you don'r feel like getting burned by a hot plug, you can spray em down with "easy-Off Oven Cleaner" and in an hour they are completely cleaned and ready for re-use. They will also read correctly when re-used.

Bonzai :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.