2002 YZ426F Gearbox Issues

4 replies to this topic
  • conman62

Posted June 21, 2007 - 03:49 AM

Anyone out there heard about gearbox problems on this model. i.e. slipping out of gear.

I've come across a 2002 yz426F with 2nd gear slipping out of drive.
I've been told by a Yamaha Technician it's usually 5th gear that does this.
Have you guys experienced any gearbox problems with the 426F?

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:35 AM

That problem does usually show up in 5th, but it could happen to any of them. In your case, you need the 2nd and 4th "wheel" gears (on the output shaft), and the #1 shift fork.

The problem is caused by rounding and wear at the locking lugs and slots of the associated gears. When it starts popping out, the force bends and wears the shift fork.

Check the rest of the trans while you're in there, this may not be the only problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • King_Air

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:45 AM

Have you tried the search function? It sounds like the locking lugs (dogs) on the sides of the gears. I have not had this problem on my 2000 model yet, but I am sure that there are some posts on this.

• schmeerbauch

Posted June 19, 2015 - 03:38 AM

Im having problems only in 5th gear just took it on a nice hard ride and cracked on throttle in 5th gear and now it slips let off throttle and its fine then give it a handful of throttle and it slips again im really hoping its my clutch that could use a fine adjustment this is a 2002 Yamaha yz426F. Also could installing aftermarket camshafts have anything to do with the extra increase horsepower on clutch are my last and final question is what about the transmission which im hoping is not a problem please any advise would be gratefully helpful clutch are transmission are could it be both thinks again need the advice.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015-05-24 15.46.58.png

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2015 - 06:26 AM

If the slip is a smooth increase in RPM like happens when the rear tire spins, it may be the clutch, but if it's jerky like the gears are jumping teeth or something, the problem is wear on the locking lugs on the sides of third and fourth gears on the main shaft.  The wear causes the gears to push away from each other instead of hold together, and this process will most always bend the shift fork as well.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.