Scoop on BIG GUN

12 replies to this topic
  • Dan_in_pa

Posted February 10, 2000 - 06:32 PM

Allright, I called Big gun today and found the following: The new SDS VELOCITY pipe is designed for increased mid and low end power boost. For a WR it will also substantially increase high end ;but, so will a stock YZ pipe. Basically @ high end this pipe and the YZ pipe perform the same. If you're looking for high end boost then you ought to go with the pipe they make called the "OVERSIZE" pipe. This pipe gives you mid and high end power over the YZ pipe. Different baffles are available @ about $15 each depending on the sound level you want @ the time. I know several of you (myself included) where curious about the fit of the SDS with the IMS tank and seat because of some of the pictures on the BIG GUN website. Well, to put your minds at ease, The pipe in the pictures was an early prototype and the new production pipe fits , no problem. My discussion was with paul who fabricates the pipes. BRYAN--- I asked paul your question about supplying your site with tech info and updates etc . He said the owner of BIG GUN Mike hobbs spends lots of time on the net and would be happy to talk to you. I told paul i'd tell you this and that you may be contacting mike. Oh yeh-- Theres a two week wait on the SDS @ present.

------------------

• Bryan

Posted February 10, 2000 - 06:52 PM

Dan,
I did e-mail Big Gun about the SDS and here is there response:
----------------------------------
Dear Bryan,
Thanks for the email and support of BIg Gun. We are very excited and constantly on a mission to build bigger and better exhaust systems. We do have some cool stuff out especially the SDS system. It is unique in every way. If you want the most power ever found in a pipe system I feel this one has it. MXA has just told us that the exhaust we sent them for testing did not dyno test very well but it worked so well on the track. They called it the trench digger! Anyway we have info but you will need to call our corporate office they have all of it. Check with them and if you need anything else let me know. Thanks again,
(909)948-7029
Mike

• Dan_in_pa

Posted February 10, 2000 - 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Dan in pa:
Allright, I called Big gun today and found the following: The new SDS VELOCITY pipe is designed for increased mid and low end power boost. For a WR it will also substantially increase high end ;but, so will a stock YZ pipe. Basically @ high end this pipe and the YZ pipe perform the same. If you're looking for high end boost then you ought to go with the pipe they make called the "OVERSIZE" pipe. This pipe gives you mid and high end power over the YZ pipe. Different baffles are available @ about $15 each depending on the sound level you want @ the time. I know several of you (myself included) where curious about the fit of the SDS with the IMS tank and seat because of some of the pictures on the BIG GUN website. Well, to put your minds at ease, The pipe in the pictures was an early prototype and the new production pipe fits , no problem. My discussion was with paul who fabricates the pipes. BRYAN--- I asked paul your question about supplying your site with tech info and updates etc . He said the owner of BIG GUN Mike hobbs spends lots of time on the net and would be happy to talk to you. I told paul i'd tell you this and that you may be contacting mike. Oh yeh-- Theres a two week wait on the SDS @ present.

• Dan_in_pa

Posted February 10, 2000 - 07:06 PM

[Bryan---two things---How can a pipe do poorly on the dyno and be said to be so good? Also , how do i reply to your reply i'm obviously having trouble?

• MotoGreg

Posted February 10, 2000 - 07:15 PM

Dan-- the answer is easy, do you want ultimate HP spread over a whopping 2,000 RPM powerband, or do you want a good smooth powerband that goes from idle to redline? I've had plenty of modified street bikes and the ones with big power on top and no midrange suck :)
Usable power rules :D

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album at your own risk! http://albums.photop...bumList?u=45608

• MotoGreg

Posted February 10, 2000 - 07:34 PM

Ok, sorry to keep doing this to you all but I think I've finally got it now... just trying to change my signature at the bottom.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
My photo album

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_in_pa

Posted February 10, 2000 - 07:39 PM

Yeh but a good dyno output should show useable power over the range where you need it.It sounds like the dyno output doesn't show this.

• Bryan

Posted February 10, 2000 - 07:42 PM

Dan, you can't reply to a reply, only to the original post.

I was concerned about that dyno statement too but I also agree with MotoGreg, Dynos don't represent the real world.
I was having jetting problems when my bike was new so I took it to a local shop, Performance Motorcycles here in Denver. Those a-holes put it on the dyno and said it was jetted right for Colorado.
First, they ran it on the dyno mostly in the main jet.
Second, it was at Denver altitude. Not way high like most of my riding.
So, BIG DUH!
The bike STILL ran like crap when I went up high and was riding narly, slow terrain and doing long steep downhills.
THEIR DUMBASS DYNO CAN'T RECREATE THOSE RIDING CONDITIONS!
Long story, but when I took it back to complain, they said I was full of crap and the bike runs great.
I WENT THROUGH TWO PLUGS THE NEXT RIDE.
So, the point of my story is that dynos don't necessarily represent real riding. But, I got off on the:
PERFORMANCE MOTORCYCLE SHOP IN DENVER IS RUN BY A BUNCH OF A-HOLES AND I'LL NEVER FREAK'N SPEND ANOTHER DIME IN THERE AGAIN
tangent.
Ah, it's nice to vent.
Bryan...
:)

• Dougie

Posted February 10, 2000 - 07:54 PM

Bryan, Bryan, Bryan....

I just had my bike in at performance for the Race Tech upgrade. Donny said to tell you hi. :)

I know you've had your problems with them but I can't say a bad word about them. They are very reputable when it comes to suspension work. You are right, I wouldn't have them put my bike on the dyno. I don't think that really works for the kind of riding we do at altitude anyway. Experimentation is the only way we are going to figure the jetting out. Hey, me, Mike and Eric are going to Watkins on Sunday. Can you make it? Are you going to Arenacross next weekend?

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 02-10-2000).]

• Bryan

Posted February 11, 2000 - 04:47 AM

I had THREE guys, two sales guys and a mechanic, tell me to my face that my WR400 runs best in Denver with a 158 main (6000 feet) because that's what the dyno said (that's bullshit)!
They also told me I was full of crap that the bike runs better with a 168 and that I just don't know motorcycles.
And, they told me the reason I was fouling plugs was because I don't know how to start the bike. (It turned out to be too rich of a pilot jet. I figured that out myself).
And, they implied I don't know how to ride.
AND ABOUT TWO WEEKS LATER I CAME ACROSS THEM ON A RIDE UP RADICAL HILL AND PASSED ALL OF THOSE LOOSER &%$#@! LIKE THEY WERE STANDING STILL! ! ! !
And, they told me this WR400 is a waist of time because they know motorcycles better than just plain old riders!
Oh, and then they told me I need to keep the powerband in the main more to prevent plug fouling because that's how the bike was intended to be run. I'd like to see those DICKHEADS ride from the top of Red Cone to Montezuma and stay in the powerband (upper revs) at full throttle. They could kick Ty Davis's ass if they could do that.
And none of these &%$#@! even have YZ400's or WR400's!
I will never go to that place of loosers again! ! ! ! !
They don't know JACK about my bike but they won't admit it!
It's all A-Loop for me!
bmh...
P.S. I sent you an e-mail about the arena cross.

• Bryan

Posted February 11, 2000 - 04:52 AM

And...
A guy at Performance told me the owners manual is full of crap and you have to give ALL motorcycles a goose on the gas before you start them! Can you believe that! I'd like to see him start a WR400 by doing that!
Can you say 'FLOOD CITY'!

WHAT A BUNCH OF DICKHEADS (I can use that word because it isn't on my censor list).

Oh, and he told me if I don't use a fully synthetic oil, I'm not taking care of my bike (that's not what the owners manual says).

The list of IDIOT comments from that shop goes on and on. Maybe I'll write a FREAK'N BOOK!
I have more if you need them.
Bryan...
(Enough said)

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted February 11, 2000 - 01:42 PM

So Bryan, do you think the A-Hole Dickheads at Performance are very good mechanics? Now don't hold back and don't sugar-coat it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 02-11-2000).]

• Bryan

Posted February 11, 2000 - 03:21 PM

It's funny when I'm anrily writing a post and trying to remember what bad words I added to my censor list and what I can get away with.
This is a family forum anyway. Serves me right!
I just hate it, in a time where good service makes or brakes a business, when I'm brushed aside by someone that obviously knows way less than me.
But, I'm happier now.
Because...
I'M GOING TO FLORIDA ON VACATION SUNDAY ! !
SUNNY!
WARM!
BEERS!
SWIMMING!
BEACHES!
Aaahhhhhhhhhh! :D
Hold my calls please!
Bryan...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.