- - - - -

XR650L Brake Help

• Please sign in to reply

9 replies to this topic
  • Double Moo

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted June 20, 2007 - 07:43 PM

I have an '05 650L with 2250 miles on it. My rear brake has felt like wood for the last few rides. Whe I press on the pedal I get nothing... more pressure, nothing... more pressure and it locks up. No feel whatsoever!! I checked the pad wear and they look great. I bled the brake lines - no difference.

A friend told me to pull the pads and check for glazing - smoother than glass - I must have the culprit... so tonight I drop in the new Galfer pads and presto - no difference!

So are these basically shit brakes that L owners live with... or is there something that I need to try so I can get some feel?

• martinfan30
13,464 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted June 20, 2007 - 08:34 PM

I have an '05 650L with 2250 miles on it. My rear brake has felt like wood for the last few rides. Whe I press on the pedal I get nothing... more pressure, nothing... more pressure and it locks up. No feel whatsoever!! I checked the pad wear and they look great. I bled the brake lines - no difference.

A friend told me to pull the pads and check for glazing - smoother than glass - I must have the culprit... so tonight I drop in the new Galfer pads and presto - no difference!

So are these basically shit brakes that L owners live with... or is there something that I need to try so I can get some feel?

actually my 05 has killer brakes F&R. when you say the rear feels like wood, you mean spongy or hard with no give? if its spongy check the caliper for any type of leak past the pistons.

• Huffa 2

TT Platinum Member

1,967 posts

Posted June 21, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Seems to me you just didn't get all the air out of them yet because you say, press,press,press ............then finally they work.

How did you bleed them?

Actually you say gradually more pressure so do you mean pumping them or more pressure on the same single stroke ?

If you must keep pumping, then they work, for sure it sounds like air in the line to me ?

You might want to try sucking instead of pumping to bleed them (not sure if you did it that way?) . Suck on a clear hose (long hose, unless you like taste of fluid?:thumbsup:) at bleeder valve while you keep replenishing the resivoir.

• GseMech

TT Newbie

24 posts

Posted June 21, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Sounds like the caliper piston is hanging up. My '04 had a rock solid rear brake due to a stuck piston. Pedal feels great but no braking action whatsoever. Worth a look at.

• cleonard

I ride therefore I am.

9,923 posts

Posted June 21, 2007 - 02:25 PM

I am with GseMech on this one. Sounds like something is binding, stuck, or corroded with the brake pads or caliper piston. Take everything apart and make sure all the moving parts move like they are susposed to.

• Double Moo

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the tips - been out of town - will have to check the piston binding and re-bleed this weekend.

Thanks again

• globalwad

TT Newbie

3 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 12, 2016 - 06:30 PM

How did it turn out?

• brianhare
5,412 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hopefully good.. since he wouldn`t have had rear brakes for almost 10 years if he didn`t fix it back then..

:lol:

B

Edited by brianhare, September 13, 2016 - 02:03 PM.

• Pcolamotorhead

TT Newbie

3 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 02:14 PM

piston in the caliper is likely stuck. Or piston in the slave cylinder. If you apply pressure to the brake pedal and crack the bleeder on the caliper and fluid shoots out There is no problem with the slave cylinder obviously. 

• JoeRC51
1,557 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Caliper and slave cylinder are one and the same.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.