How to protect you airbox cover free engine!

5 replies to this topic
  • ray_lebreton

Posted February 08, 2000 - 04:41 PM

i just pulled off my airbox cover on my 00 wr i did notice that it was a little bit louder but i don't care too much. i was wondering if there is a chance that dirt, mud or water can get into there if you are riding in muddy conditions. i was thinking about a piece of door screen. what do you think? if anybody has tried ridding without the cover in muddy conditions i would appeciate any insight they have. if nothing goes in there i would also like to know about this. thanks, ray

• Dougie

Posted February 08, 2000 - 04:57 PM

I've never found anything other than dust in my airbox with the lid off. There should have been a black piece of vinyl that came with your bike. Put this under your seat when you are riding in extreme dusty or rainy conditions. This will help keep water and dust out of the box. Remember to drain the airbox plug at the bottom after water crossings, rain or washings. You really shouldn't have a problem unless you submerge it completely.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: Race Tech Suspension, YZ Timing, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• ray_lebreton

Posted February 08, 2000 - 05:24 PM

what is this airbox plug you speak of? the only thing i can see is a small clear piece of plastic tubing with the end pinched off about 1 1/2 inches long sticking out of the bottom of the airbox pointing towards the motor is this the airbox plug?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted February 08, 2000 - 05:33 PM

Hey Ray,

Yes, that is the plug Dougie is refering to. When you wash the bike, really well, you may find a little water in this "plug" Be sure to drain it. For if you do not, then water/moisture build up will end up in the carb and if it ends up in the carb it will end up in the motor. And if it ends up in the motor, then you will be lubing the motor with milkshake rather than oil... :)

------------------
Motard Mitch

• ray_lebreton

Posted February 08, 2000 - 05:39 PM

thanks

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 09, 2000 - 12:39 AM

Ray - I ride a 98 WR in the UK. Its always wet and muddy. You Yanks don't even know the meaning of mud! My WR has no airbox lid, and unlike my previous XR400, it has proved very difficult to drown. Knowing I like the water, I removed the small clear pipe that exits at the bottom outside of the airbox. This is a sealed tube and does not allow the box to self drain. With this in place, the box would fill up like a bath.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.