Blown seal and no fr. brake

6 replies to this topic
  • Shane_in_Oz

Posted February 17, 2002 - 06:32 PM

After blowing the fork seals while the bike was tied down I went for a ride and the oil leaked onto the disc and into the brake pads. I've replaced the pads, cleaned the disc and calliper with brake cleaner and installed new seals but the front brake is still not working properly. Anyone got any ideas because I'm all out?

• BFLee

Posted February 18, 2002 - 08:12 AM

Flush the brake fluid and thoroughly bleed the system. I have found when changing pads that if you push the caliper pucks in the lever can get spongy. If you need to push the pucks into the caliper body when changing the pads you should crack the bleeder and let a little fluid out when you push. I always put in new fluid when I change my pads. It's probably overkill, but it is just an easy way to keep track.

I just blew out both fork seals at the MX track on Saturday. I cased the same double 2 laps in a row, bottomed the fork hard both times. Came back to my pit to dial in some more compression and the whole front hub/brake assembly was covered with suspension fluid.

My wrists and back don't feel that great either :)

• MOmilkman

Posted February 18, 2002 - 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Shane in Oz:
I've replaced the pads, cleaned the disc and calliper with brake cleaner and installed new seals but the front brake is still not working properly.

I have done the same thing and found out that sometimes just cleaning the disc with brake cleaner is not enough.

Take the disc off the hub and heat the metal untill it is almost red hot. Do this all the way around the disc on both sides.
This will cook all the oil out of the disc.
This has helped mine a bunch when I have gotten fork fluid on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shane_in_Oz

Posted February 18, 2002 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for your advice guys. What is the best way to heat the disc? Should I invest in a heat gun or do i need to go even further. But a heat gun would be handy for removing all those white marks on the plastics.

• MOmilkman

Posted February 19, 2002 - 08:25 AM

Shane, I just use a propane torch.

• SealClubber

Posted February 19, 2002 - 09:23 AM

Would a Self Cleaning Oven that gets to about 800-850 degrees work OK?

• MOmilkman

Posted February 19, 2002 - 10:44 PM

Mmmm, never tried that. Im not sure exactly what the temp is when the metal starts turning blue but if that is more simple for you and your girlfriend/wife dosent mind the smell of burning oil in the house.... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.