xr600r with some Aussie mods

9 replies to this topic
  • exaresix

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Here's what I have done so far on my '97 xr600r. As many know, the Aussie version has brake light and turn signals. I went with the xr650L tail light. This does require the addition of the L subframe. To put this on I had to add a small extension brace to the fender bolts (these have to be a longer bolt). It is pretty solid. I also finally settled on the FCR 41 carb, and was able to get one with a choke from Sudco. I did try the FCR 41 MX, and though it ran great, it would not fit unless I tilted it way to the left. That was OK until it went on the sidestand — now, tilted even more, the float wouldn't function properly and the carb would pour out gas. So it was back to the standard FCR 41, and it has a smooth linear power delivery. Of course, I had to go with the Staintune muffler. Anyhow, here are the pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 09:13 PM

VERY nice! i have same carb but with out choke. i find no need for one. 1-2 twists on the throttle and it starts immediately, and idles perfectly. even when its 20 degrees out! i know we talked about this before but it never grows old!:thumbsup:

• exaresix

Posted June 20, 2007 - 09:22 PM

Perhaps your pilot jet is different (mine is a 45)? I have to run choke for the first five minutes or it will die at idle. I sometimes wonder if there is some individual variation from one carb to the next...or maybe the version with the choke is somehow different in its interior channels. In any event, the carb works well. I have a Boyesen QS2 (not currently installed on carb), but I tried it on my other carb and I could tell very little difference.

• rmhrc630

Posted June 21, 2007 - 01:02 AM

Nice looking machine exare. That barrel looks super clean.

How do you like the sound of the staintune off idle? Barks pretty hard doesnt it?

• Huffa 2

Posted June 21, 2007 - 04:24 AM

I don't know a thing about these standard FCR 41 carbs.

Does someone sell a XR650L FCR 41 carb kit or you just buy the carb and rig it up yourself?

Does it use the same throttle cables?

Just read something about carb throats being 3MM larger on the stock carb?

How did you correct that? Was that you martinfan30 that did that and if so I was confused on your hose clamp fix?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted June 21, 2007 - 05:20 AM

I don't know a thing about these standard FCR 41 carbs.

Does someone sell a XR650L FCR 41 carb kit or you just buy the carb and rig it up yourself?

Does it use the same throttle cables?

Just read something about carb throats being 3MM larger on the stock carb?

How did you correct that? Was that you martinfan30 that did that and if so I was confused on your hose clamp fix?

For either the FCR 41 or the FCR MX 41 you should use the rubber manifold for the xr600r and the Sudco adapters for the xr600r that attach to the front and rear of the carb. If you use these there is no sizing problem. The carb comes jetted with a 50 pilot and 170 main. You'll have to change these to suit your needs. Eddie Sisneros recommends the 42 for a pilot and this has worked out well for some. As you might expect, the size 42 Keihin pilot jet has been on "national backorder" for months. You can buy an aftermarket 42, but these do not work the same (I tried). I went with a 45 Keihin and it seems to work well. The jets selling on eBay as Keihin are not Keihin, they are aftermarket.

As to the cables, Sudco also sells Pro-motion cables to fit these carbs.

• exaresix

Posted June 21, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Nice looking machine exare. That barrel looks super clean.

How do you like the sound of the staintune off idle? Barks pretty hard doesnt it?

Yes, I like the Staintune. Quiet at idle and low throttle, and loud when you get on it.

• martinfan30

Posted June 21, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Perhaps your pilot jet is different (mine is a 45)? I have to run choke for the first five minutes or it will die at idle. I sometimes wonder if there is some individual variation from one carb to the next...or maybe the version with the choke is somehow different in its interior channels. In any event, the carb works well. I have a Boyesen QS2 (not currently installed on carb), but I tried it on my other carb and I could tell very little difference.

ya ive got a 52pilot, 160 main.

• exaresix

Posted June 21, 2007 - 09:45 AM

ya ive got a 52pilot, 160 main.

Yep, I have to go with a very lean pilot jet here in Phoenix in order to pass emissions, and that means I really need a choke when the engine is cold.

• martinfan30

Posted June 21, 2007 - 10:05 AM

its all much clearer now!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.