Cutting out the backfire screen on filter cage

8 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 20, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Has anyone cut out the screen on their airfilter cage. Someone told me the bike would breath alot better if you did.>>>>And we all know "the better they breath the better they will run" All though someone did say the screen protects the filter from backfire and possibly a fire. But I have seen Twin air filter cages that you can buy for 06 450fs and they dont have a screen on them and they cost $100.00:eek: so why dont just cut out the stock screen and save your money and still have the same purpose.

• 642MX

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Don't waste your time. The foam filter is more restrictive than the back-fire screen.

• grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:43 PM

• sauergood

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:54 PM

my crf 450 x filter was a little crispy when iwent to change it once i have decided that if not for the screen it could of been bad so ileave it alone plus it runs great anyways

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted June 21, 2007 - 06:50 AM

the 03-05 yz 450 cage can be replaced by the same yr yz 250 smoker cage which has no screen for under $30 (which is worth it if you've ever tried to get all those little wires out) but you'll need to run a backfire resistant filter;like the one twinair uses in its kit. (replacements are available for around another $30) so you can save $40:thumbsup: i'm not sure if this is possible with the newer'll have to check part #'s.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:05 AM

It is possible with the later bikes, but it's still a complete waste of time and money.

• King_Air

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:36 AM

It is possible with the later bikes, but it's still a complete waste of time and money.

I agree. After searching on here a reading a lot of posts, I have concluded that the filter itself is more restrictive than the screen. My $0.02.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 21, 2007 - 06:33 PM

I just stay with what ive got and not fool with it.

• ncmountainman

Posted June 22, 2007 - 06:35 AM

if anything i noticed a slight bottom end loss when i tried it,the screen also helps me sleep better at night; its screens for me:thumbsup:

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.