Oil question?

6 replies to this topic
  • 450 Dude

Posted June 20, 2007 - 03:04 PM

hello everyone i have a 07 wr450 with 325 miles on it. i order the service manual, but i lost my owners manual. my question is when are everyone changing to syntheic oil?
also has anyone tried the scotts oil filter? is worth the $70??

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted June 20, 2007 - 06:12 PM

As soon as the engine has passed the recommended break-in period, change the oil and run synthetic if you wish. You could probably switch at your next oil change.

As for the scotts oil filter, haven't tried one but would you rather spend the hassle of cleaning it and not knowing if it is perfectly clean, or get a $3 paper filter eveytime you do an oil change?? Paper ones filter better, plus
$70 is about 20 oil changes worth of the cheap filters.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 20, 2007 - 06:29 PM

After the first ride, (50 miles) I starting using Ams Oil full synthetic.
I haven't used my Scott's filter yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted June 20, 2007 - 08:00 PM

On my first oil change at 180kms/112miles. Stuck with the Yamaha paper filter as no Scotts here, but had one in my YZ and never had an issue. Running Shell Advance Ultra (good enough for Ducati in MotoGP - good enough for me) fully synthetic in the WR. Ran Amsoil in the YZ (can't get it here)

• 450 Dude

Posted June 21, 2007 - 06:45 AM

thank you for the info every one:thumbsup:

• Mutu

Posted June 21, 2007 - 03:38 PM

I would leave it a bit, the rings need a bit of time to bed in properly.
Give your bike lots of throttle mate, it will reward you with more power and less ring blow-by.

• ccoates445

Posted June 22, 2007 - 10:15 PM

I would leave it a bit, the rings need a bit of time to bed in properly.
Give your bike lots of throttle mate, it will reward you with more power and less ring blow-by.

Mutu has it right. An aggressive break-in is the best way to do it. If you baby it the rings won't bed into the cylinder properly. As well, the oil formulas made today will last much longer than 50 miles and I also feel that the "every other ride" theory is too soon. 500 miles and a good quality throw away filter is more than adequate protection and they do filter better than the stainless reusable type. Super hot climates might require a little sooner, but not much. And while we're on the servicing subject, those who preach more frequent oil changes after extra dusty rides must not using/cleaning their air filters. That or they have stock with the oil companies. Don't fall into the trap of changing your oil every half hour. I have many years experience building race motors and I promise you many years of trouble free riding following those easy rules.

Cheers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.