Need Help...spark plug recess question

1 reply to this topic
  • torrmentor

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Gray & Gang-
Really upset with myself. I was being hasty when I went to wash my bike the other day and got some water/dirt in the little drainage hole that funnels water away from the top of the cylinder/spark plug. I usually plug it with duct tape.
I obviously can't get down there to remove the debris(it's really not much,and I guess it'll have to stay there 'til I remove the cylinder in the future), but should I leave the spark plug out and cap off so the air will remove the moisture instead of sealing it all up, or should I carefully install my new plug and the heat from the next ride will evaporate the moisture right out the hole???

The bike has been running a bit rich, the top of the piston looks really dark. How much carbon build up on the piston should I be able to see through the spark access/ what is the normal range of color? Thanks

'05 YZ 450; 13 hours total

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 20, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Just take compressed air and blow out the hole.......As far as carbon on the top of piston goes usually determines what type of fuel you have used, Ive noticed when I rebuilt the top end on my 250 2 stroke it had a lot of carbon on the top when I used pump gas of 93 octane and when I used 114 there were hardly any.... maybe just a little spot the size of a dime on top of the piston. Although I havent had my 06 450 apart yet but I assume it will be based the same way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.