Balance??

14 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:25 PM

does any one balance their wheels? just a curiosity.

• goblin127

Posted June 20, 2007 - 04:43 PM

I'm useing the balance beads. There ceramic beads that are supposed to find the lite spot in the wheel. no rim locks. The tires do seem to be right on though. TKC 80's front and rear.

• MartinDKtm

Posted June 20, 2007 - 04:59 PM

Not the knobby. But I do make balance when I put street only tires on it.

• creeky

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have done a lot of dual sport riding, combination of trail and some dirt/gravel/sand/pavement over the years. I use a length of solder equal to the weight of the rim lock and wind the solder around the spoke opposite the rim lock. Not perfect, but keeps the front wheel from tramping when riding on hard surfaces at speed.

• Firelyle

Posted June 20, 2007 - 06:05 PM

Street Bike ... always
Dirt Bike ... never have

• Huffa 2

Posted June 20, 2007 - 06:17 PM

I never did on any enduro but the XRL I just bought has them on the front.

Posted Image

Hmmm, the L one looks like it is not on all the way, camera has better "eyes" then I do!

• HawkGT

Posted June 20, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Absolutely!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted June 20, 2007 - 08:01 PM

I run duel rim locks front and back, Wheels are in balance without tires on them. For running in the dirt this is close enough.

• martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 08:25 PM

firelyle, is that a german shorthair as your avatar?? does he/she hunt(chukar)?

• Denn10

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:46 AM

Theres no chuckar in NV cmon to CA LOL

I dont have any weights but i would say it will NEVER hurt anything, if you do more 55mph street than dirt it has to help, less wear and less vibration. Is it worth the 20 bucks im prolly gonna try it on mine Dunlop 606s at 75mph VIBRATION lol my hands hurt after an hour on the road.

• martinfan30

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:58 AM

Theres no chuckar in NV cmon to CA LOL

I dont have any weights but i would say it will NEVER hurt anything, if you do more 55mph street than dirt it has to help, less wear and less vibration. Is it worth the 20 bucks im prolly gonna try it on mine Dunlop 606s at 75mph VIBRATION lol my hands hurt after an hour on the road.

you chase em out there?

• needsprayer

Posted June 21, 2007 - 11:06 AM

I am running 80/20 (road/dirt) Avon Gripster tires and had a vibration problem with my front wheel.

My wife went in to our local dealership to buy a strip of adhesive wheels weights for me. Instead, she was given 6 spoke weights (of various sizes) by my local dealer. Great dealership BTW.

Put my BRP on the stand, backed off the caliper and spun the front wheel about 20 times to verify the heavy spot. It was near the rim lock as expected. Put on an intermediate sized spoke weight opposite to the verified heavy spot. Spun the wheel again to make sure the tire stopped spinning at random points. Clamped the weight to the spoke. Next ride the vibration was gone.

• HawkGT

Posted June 21, 2007 - 06:24 PM

I use a metal rod and a couple of jack stands to balance my wheels. Probably won't come out as perfect as paying to have them mechanically spin balanced, but it works pretty good and is free. Certainly it's better than doing nothing at all. On the road, I've found the front is easy to feel when unbalanced. The back is harder to feel--I can look down at my rear wheel and visibly see it hopping up and down (when unbalanced) yet can't really feel it. :thumbsup:

Off-road I'm not sure if I've ever been able to detect imbalance. But I wouldn't expect to with all the bumps and irregularities. Still, I figure just because I can't pick out an imbalance among all the bumping around doesn't mean balanced wheels couldn't help control--especially on fast wide open stuff.

I've found that if you go to car tire shops and ask to buy some stick-on wheel weights they usually look at you funny because no one has ever asked them that before and then they give you a strip or two for free. :thumbsup:

Like someone already said (even if you never ride on road)---->it can't hurt (and can be done almost for free).

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 09:51 AM

bump.

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I take it that no one has been hit while riding when the stick-ons come unglued?

My knobbies are not balanced and my bike shakes slightly, but it takes about 90mph before I notice. :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.