Best tires for a plated xr650r ??

10 replies to this topic
  • markbec1

Posted June 20, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I do 60% road and 40% off road riding I need to get a new front and rear tire for my xr650r, something DOT approved thinking of the 606 rear and the Pirelli scorpian front should I be buying any special size?

• pburke

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:35 PM

never used that Pirelli. D606 is ok for on-road and definitely good offraod. I had D606 on front and back and cannot recommend the front tire for sandy/soft surfaces. On road it's ok. Before that set I ran some cheap Kings tires that were labelled 50-50 but I'd rate them 80% highway, 20% dirt at best. Much better on road, yet short of gravel roads, you really don't want this as a dual use tire. I use my bike 90+% offroad nowadays and for that, I am going non-DOT next wheel change.

I always bought the bigger rear tires, but am starting to believe that 140s or even 130s may not be helping much with traction, while adding tons of unsprung weight. 120s should do fine

• Huffa 2

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:40 PM

I have done hours upon hours of reading on these Mefo's that are made in Germany/ distributed by kawasaki dealers in USA.

I am very impressed with the explorers, been talk of 8-12,000 :thumbsup: miles off of these!!

The ONLY places on line that you can get them in USA that I'm aware of are at these two.........

You may be more interested in their DOT knobby though ?

http://klr650.com/ME...Sport Tires.htm

http://www.angelfire...rts_frames.html

Here are a couple other links about the explorers........

http://www.advrider....t=mefo explorer

http://www.klr650.ne...ead.php?t=24996

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:47 PM

The mefo explorers tempted me greatly, but if I didn't like 'em I'd have to live with 'em for awhile, so I punted and went with a 140 MT21

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:51 PM

mt21's are a killer tire!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:53 PM

The mefo explorers tempted me greatly, but if I didn't like 'em I'd have to live with 'em for awhile, so I punted and went with a 140 MT21

Dave

:thumbsup: What's a 140 MT21, I have no idea ?

I really can't imagine you not liking the Mefo's, just tons of positive comments on them ...........

Just read this one from a XR 600 guy .............

" I just got the explorers put on yesterday and they're the best mod I've made. I took the XR600 out to some trails south of town to break them in a little and they hooked up on everything. Loose dirt, hardpack with gravel on top, 6-8 inch square rocks, slickrock, ledges, sand. I threw them at everything and when they didn't completely grip, they slid very predictably. I had track master knobbies before and the mefos blew them away. I took it up to Mesa Verde and it's like a new bike. Not a like a new xr600, like a new gsxr. I can run mountian hairpins at 50mph that I used to slide out on at 30mph. I'm scared to try and find the grip limit on the mefos. I'll have to get shorter pegs for sure. After 75 hard miles of riding on every surface except mud, the tits are still on the tires and the flashing around the circumference isn't even worn off. I would be able to notice wear on the knobbies after every ride. I have no association with mefo(no speeko german) or the place where I ordered them. I can post my reciept to prove that. These tires are just amazing. I hope they don't ever change them "

One beefy tire !! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:16 AM

:thumbsup: What's a 140 MT21, I have no idea ?

I really can't imagine you not liking the Mefo's, just tons of positive comments on them ...........

Just read this one from a XR 600 guy .............

" I just got the explorers put on yesterday and they're the best mod I've made. I took the XR600 out to some trails south of town to break them in a little and they hooked up on everything. Loose dirt, hardpack with gravel on top, 6-8 inch square rocks, slickrock, ledges, sand. I threw them at everything and when they didn't completely grip, they slid very predictably. I had track master knobbies before and the mefos blew them away. I took it up to Mesa Verde and it's like a new bike. Not a like a new xr600, like a new gsxr. I can run mountian hairpins at 50mph that I used to slide out on at 30mph. I'm scared to try and find the grip limit on the mefos. I'll have to get shorter pegs for sure. After 75 hard miles of riding on every surface except mud, the tits are still on the tires and the flashing around the circumference isn't even worn off. I would be able to notice wear on the knobbies after every ride. I have no association with mefo(no speeko german) or the place where I ordered them. I can post my reciept to prove that. These tires are just amazing. I hope they don't ever change them "

One beefy tire !! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

The 140-series MT21 (they have 120-130-140)

The Mefos look good, just waiting for more feedback before plunking down scratch on an untried (by me) tire.

I'd like to hear from someone who can compare 'em to an MT21.

Dave

• NavyNuke

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:13 PM

I run the kenda K270, cheap tires, due decently everywhere, but when they go flat, they are FLAT!!!!

and for 90 bucks a pair, last 1500 miles give or take.

• HawkGT

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:50 PM

I've been running K270s as well during the summer. I'm pretty much 90%+ on-road during the summer. I have ridden in the desert with the K270s and they do surprisingly well. Running as low a pressure as I dare goes a long way to finding traction. And YES--they've got really pliable sidewalls. Nice for mounting/unmounting but not so nice if you get a flat. The price is hard to beat. I've got 1000 miles on my set at the moment. I might be able to squeeze 2K out of them if I let em' wear beyond what I'd normally find acceptable for an off-road tire. Flipping them half way through thier life helps a smidge.

During the winter I ride about 50/50. So far I've run D606s, MT21s, and D908RRs (actually the front was an RR, the rear was just an plain D908). Not sure if I've been able to distinguish a preference between those rears. They're all good. For the fronts I'd rate them 1) MT21, 2) D606, 3) D908RR. I HATE the D908RR on the road. The front wonders at speed with that tire and I could never get it to go away--very unsettling. It's probably the exact opposite of the K270 as far as sidewall stiffness. The D908RR front has the stiffest carcass I've ever experienced. I think the D908RR front is probably better left to the 400lb+ bikes it was desgined for. I won't buy another for my XR650R.

If you don't ride especially agressively off-road the K270s are a fine choice. I found they have a wierd squishy feeling on the road. Strange at first (actually I really disliked it at first) but I got use to it fast and now don't even notice it. When I put my 1/2 worn K270s back on this summer I immediately noticed the "squishiness" but got over it quickly just like I did the first time. Tire pressure doesn't seem to effect it. It think it's the stiffness of the lugs that's responsible. My next replacement set for my K270s may be IRC GP1s. They have the same tread as the K270 but I'm told they are made of a different compound that lacks the "squishiness" [shrug].

If you want something more dirt worthy than the K270 then I'd probably go with the (~$50 more expensive and less long-lasting) MT21s. There may be tires superior to the MT21 in the areas the MT21 excells, but I couldn't say which tires those are.

$0.02

• pman13

Posted June 28, 2007 - 05:17 AM

I've been using D606 front and rear for about 750 miles doing 50/50 and I've been extremely happy with them. I'm probably going to try the MT21 front next just to compare it, but the D606 has set the bar pretty high.

• Esrum1

Posted July 12, 2007 - 06:09 AM

I ride about 50% on tight twistys here in Utah and about 50% on dirt trails, single track and fire roads.

For both conditions I've been really happy with the Metzler Karoo. I'm on my third set. The rear tire will wear out under heavy use in several months. It handles very nice on the pavement as well.

Not too pricey either. Overall, a good balance.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.