Installed a FCR41mm on my 06'XR650L with stock airbox

17 replies to this topic
  • 2000dr650

Posted June 20, 2007 - 09:31 AM

HELLO ALL,
I just wanted to share my results of puting a Khein FCR41mm on my 2006 xr650L using the stock air box with a K&N. First, I want to start by saying the stock carb, well, totally sucks. no pun intended :thumbsup:. I tried the dynojet kit with ok results but i couldnt get it just right, daves mod is deffinetly better, but still not as crisp as i think it should be(but it is a CV carb, so maybe its as good as it gets??).
So I installed a 41mm fcr that i had on my previous bike, a 2000 suzuki dr650.
The only real problem came across was that the stock carb thoats on th XL are a little bigger in diameter the the stock DR carb, i think by 3mm but the problem was solved with a couple of hose clamps. Im not sure but I bet sudco has a "KIT" for the XR as thaey did for the DR.
I also removed all the smog crap, installed block off plates, and just connected the crank case breather tube to the air box as it was before, just bypassing the smog pump that is nolonger there.

All i can say is this thing RIPPPPPS.... power is instant, no hesitatrion what so-ever

FCR specs.
PJ:52, MJ:160, SAS:1 turn out, CJ:55, N:JD(jdk001) 3rd clip

http://i16.photobuck...0/venttubes.jpg
http://i16.photobuck...0dr650/fcr1.jpg
http://i16.photobuck...dr650/close.jpg

• martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 10:52 AM

i have the same carb on my 650L. LOVE it!! i agree totally this one rips too! only thing i got buggin me is the mixture screw. it only seems to have 1/4 turn from left to right. am i just that 'tarded and trying to adjust the wrong thing???:thumbsup:

• 2000dr650

Posted June 20, 2007 - 11:00 AM

i have the same carb on my 650L. LOVE it!! i agree totally this one rips too! only thing i got buggin me is the mixture screw. it only seems to have 1/4 turn from left to right. am i just that 'tarded and trying to adjust the wrong thing???:thumbsup:

you should have 3.5 turns out from "lightly seated" of the mixture screw..i'd say remove it, completly clean the threads and re-install.

• martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 11:51 AM

is it the one on the bottom of the bowl?? cause i dont see any other.

• 2000dr650

Posted June 20, 2007 - 12:33 PM

yup..i..you could replace it with a xtended fuel screw off ebay..makes tuning a whole lot easier

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 20, 2007 - 01:07 PM

I'll be the 1st to say the CV carb will never be as good as a manual-slide carb.

Dave

• rmhrc630

Posted June 20, 2007 - 01:46 PM

HELLO ALL,
I just wanted to share my results of puting a Khein FCR41mm on my 2006 xr650L using the stock air box with a K&N. First, I want to start by saying the stock carb, well, totally sucks. no pun intended :thumbsup:. I tried the dynojet kit with ok results but i couldnt get it just right, daves mod is deffinetly better, but still not as crisp as i think it should be(but it is a CV carb, so maybe its as good as it gets??).
So I installed a 41mm fcr that i had on my previous bike, a 2000 suzuki dr650.
The only real problem came across was that the stock carb thoats on th XL are a little bigger in diameter the the stock DR carb, i think by 3mm but the problem was solved with a couple of hose clamps. Im not sure but I bet sudco has a "KIT" for the XR as thaey did for the DR.
I also removed all the smog crap, installed block off plates, and just connected the crank case breather tube to the air box as it was before, just bypassing the smog pump that is nolonger there.

All i can say is this thing RIPPPPPS.... power is instant, no hesitatrion what so-ever

FCR specs.
PJ:52, MJ:160, SAS:1 turn out, CJ:55, N:JD(jdk001) 3rd clip

http://i16.photobuck...0/venttubes.jpg
http://i16.photobuck...0dr650/fcr1.jpg
http://i16.photobuck...dr650/close.jpg

Hey nice fitup there mate.

I run the 41mm FCRMX on my 628hybrid.

So it may help you I used the stock XR600 manifold and sudco make an adpater to go to the XR600 airbox. It all fitted perfect

I suspect you issue is that the XR650L airbox mouth is slightly smaller/bigger than the adapter?

Sudco def sell an adapter to go from XR600 airbox to FCR carb. Worth a shot

• 2000dr650

Posted June 20, 2007 - 06:32 PM

So it may help you I used the stock XR600 manifold and sudco make an adpater to go to the XR600 airbox. It all fitted perfect

I suspect you issue is that the XR650L airbox mouth is slightly smaller/bigger than the adapter?

no doubt..but im sure it'll cost me $60 or more for each ring....sudco, while they have great stuff, they're very expensive..im not leaking air .$2.00's of hose clamps will do for now

• martinfan30

Posted August 20, 2007 - 03:55 PM

you should have 3.5 turns out from "lightly seated" of the mixture screw..i'd say remove it, completly clean the threads and re-install.

what pilot you running and at what elevation? is yours the slant body or straight body?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:56 PM

You should check the parts fiche on the Sudco site to assure yourself that you are turning the correct screw. You may be turning something else.

• exaresix

Posted August 20, 2007 - 08:06 PM

He will need the xr600r rubber manifold AND the aluminum screw-in throat to fit up with that manifold. Since he took this carb from another bike, he may not have the version that has the threaded front end that allows for use of the screw-in piece. As you state, he will also need the bolt-on rear adaptor to fit the air-box.

The FCR 41 fits into the xr frame nicely, the 41 FCRMX however is not a perfect fit. It requires grinding away a portion of the carb body to fit. As I recall, rmhrc630, that is what you had to do to make yours fit.

• rmhrc630

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:36 PM

He will need the xr600r rubber manifold AND the aluminum screw-in throat to fit up with that manifold. Since he took this carb from another bike, he may not have the version that has the threaded front end that allows for use of the screw-in piece. As you state, he will also need the bolt-on rear adaptor to fit the air-box.

The FCR 41 fits into the xr frame nicely, the 41 FCRMX however is not a perfect fit. It requires grinding away a portion of the carb body to fit. As I recall, rmhrc630, that is what you had to do to make yours fit.

Exaresix you're right - the back of the carb required some minor grinding - nothing a decent mechanic couldn't do.

I did it and figured the performance gain was worth the risk. Burned also confirmed there were no hidden cavities.

• Natnewt

Posted March 03, 2009 - 08:43 AM

so you are using the straight body with and adapter? which adapter did you use?

• stuntrider7x

Posted March 03, 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi Im interested In putting one on my bike, what all do you need besides the keihin fcr41, What throttle and cables are needed.

• Denn10

Posted March 03, 2009 - 03:09 PM

am i just that 'tarded and trying to adjust the wrong thing???:p

BELIEVE DAT!! you are a tard, turn that dard thing!!

• Natnewt

Posted March 03, 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hi Im interested In putting one on my bike, what all do you need besides the keihin fcr41, What throttle and cables are needed.

cable and airbox adapter and the proper jets is all you need.

• Research Rat

Posted March 03, 2009 - 04:44 PM

FYI this thread is 2 years old.

:p

so you are using the straight body with and adapter? which adapter did you use?

• Natnewt

Posted March 03, 2009 - 05:36 PM

yes and i referenced someone whoe still posts and has his bike

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.