XR650L Mileage

33 replies to this topic
  • cleonard

Posted June 21, 2007 - 04:25 PM

The big variable in mpg is what your roads are like. I get pretty bad mileage on my commute to work. Lots of hills, high speed roads, and a whole bunch of stoplights. Nothing kills mileage than having to start at the bottom of a hill, accelerate to 60 and then come to a halt only 1/2 mile later. If your drive is on the flats with no stops then your mileage will be much better.

• scooter1100

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Just to throw a wrench in the works.... I get about 15-18 km/litre...but a tail/head wind can make alot of difference. my acerbis 23 litre tank, with 2 two litre reserves, so 19 litres usable will get 270 km in a head wind and 330 km with a tail wind at 120 km/h from a full tank to first reserve. btw 1.6 km to a mile:p

• pumpkinhead67

Posted June 22, 2007 - 09:47 AM

Awesome responses. Gives me something to think about. Thanks fellas

Dave

• tggray01

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:22 PM

I ride on the interstate at 75 and get about 51 mpg; in city with many stops 48.6 mpg; gravel roads etc about 54 mpg. So does adding a new pipe increase the gas mileage or what? If so, how much?:thumbsup:

• tggray01

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Hey Motosprtman

Don't get a Harley; sure they are pretty nice bikes, but there are much better bikes out there for cheaper. Try a BMW; maybe a r1200gs adventure (55 mpg) with a shit ton of power but weight too. They are actually cheaper than a harley and will blast past a harley all while getting better gas mileage and showing a bit more style. BMW is a great bike for anyone, not just old men flashing dough:prof:

• Huffa 2

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:44 AM

94 L - STOCK condition

Riding up and down PA mountain hills doing 40-65 mph, using the torque and not revving much at all, pretty much babying the bike, I got 53 mpg.

Makes me wonder :thumbsup: ...........doing carb mods (dyno jet/Daves mods) and taking off the emission pump will give it more power and will run richer, but that doesn't really mean it will use more gas, because since it has more power, you won't have to give it quite as much throttle to accomplish the same task, so I ask, should it all even out and a modified (carb/emissions removed) L get about the same milage?

• Motosprtman

Posted June 25, 2007 - 09:59 AM

Hey Motosprtman

Don't get a Harley; sure they are pretty nice bikes, but there are much better bikes out there for cheaper. Try a BMW; maybe a r1200gs adventure (55 mpg) with a shit ton of power but weight too. They are actually cheaper than a harley and will blast past a harley all while getting better gas mileage and showing a bit more style. BMW is a great bike for anyone, not just old men flashing dough:prof:

The Harley thing has passed ... I am NOT in the market for one anymore. Too Big, Too Expensive and they leak! brand new one on the showroom floor I was looking at (a soft tail standard) had a puddle under it. Hell my old XL's don't leak and they are over three decades old! naw, I think I will pass...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted June 25, 2007 - 10:02 AM

94 L - STOCK condition

Riding up and down PA mountain hills doing 40-65 mph, using the torque and not revving much at all, pretty much babying the bike, I got 53 mpg.

Makes me wonder :thumbsup: ...........doing carb mods (dyno jet/Daves mods) and taking off the emission pump will give it more power and will run richer, but that doesn't really mean it will use more gas, because since it has more power, you won't have to give it quite as much throttle to accomplish the same task, so I ask, should it all even out and a modified (carb/emissions removed) L get about the same milage?

anytime you enrichen the mix more fuel is drawn into the combustion chamber, more fuel = less milage, not alot but 6-9 MPG, depends on how you ride too.

• Huffa 2

Posted June 25, 2007 - 11:15 AM

anytime you enrichen the mix more fuel is drawn into the combustion chamber, more fuel = less milage, not alot but 6-9 MPG, depends on how you ride too.

I know that, your missing my point though.

Since the motor has more power now, from the richer mixture and total carb mod, you may not have to twist the throttle as much to perform the same amount of ooomph as before, hence better fuel milage, so it all may even out.

Richer mixture, more power = less twist of throttle.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Generally speaking, when making "X" amount of HP, doing so with the leanest mixture that will run the engine and not destroy it is the most fuel-efficient.
On a piston-engine plane you get cruising then lean the heck out of the engine, while watching the ex-gas temp.

There are a broad mix of effects in action all at the same time when you do either the dave-mods, or use the DJ kit.

Dave

• chicagobikefan

Posted July 04, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Uncorked, about 70 miles before hitting reserve.

• martinfan30

Posted July 05, 2007 - 02:10 PM

with my fcr pumper carb i now dont hit reserve until 90 miles! thats 20 more miles than with jetted cv carb!

• Adamsvh67

Posted July 06, 2007 - 08:14 AM

'07 L; 52/160; DJ kit; IDS2-12 discs; snorkle/smog removed; 14/47 gearing; UNI filter. Last trail ride(had about 12 miles on hiway) got 38. That's been about the norm for me. Yeah... need a bigger tank.

• TruckinAR

Posted July 07, 2007 - 07:42 PM

HOLY SMOKES!!!

Maybe I won't get an XR.
My current girl gets right around 70mpg (99 XT350) and I ride it like I stole it!
I weigh 155 5'8"
NC back roads pretty flat, 55-70 mph.

I get around 60-65 mpg when I head to the hills about 50 miles west.
roughly i'll do about 125-135 miles on 1.5 gals.
tank is 3.2 ( before the dent :thumbsup: ) now about 3 gallons.
It is 142 miles from my house to where I commute once a week. I use 1.3 - 1.7 gallons.
:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.