tore up the countershaft xr6r

4 replies to this topic
  • timothypg

Posted June 19, 2007 - 08:38 PM

well i thought i missed a gear when i was getting on it but nope, stripped the splines right off the countershaft.:thumbsup: I recently went to a 628, cam etc. i wonder if that is more than the c.s. can handle. It is an 86 so it might just be age. Anyways it looks like i will really be tearing the engine apart this time. Has anyone done this repair? tips, or any advice? On the upside i will get a good look at how all the other work i have done is holding up. Honda has the shaft for around $90.00, if they even have them. The stupid tow cost more than that.

• cleonard

Posted June 19, 2007 - 08:59 PM

It is a time thing. I had older XL's and both of them were almost worn through when the engines fried. In another year or two, I will be in the same boat as you on my 93 as it is starting to show a lot of wear. One of my friends had a 650L and had to replace it twice. We figure cheap aftermarket sprockets did it. They were narrower than the Honda ones. I haven't seen any like it in ten years though.

Even though you know that you need a new shaft, I would wait until you open her up before ordering. You may find that other parts need replacing as well. When you have it apart examine the gears. On the early bikes third gear had a habit of needing to be replaced. I replaced second and third on my 93 due to pitting on the gear faces.

The shaft should still be available from Honda and if you found it for $90 that is a good price. There is a guy on ebay selling aftermarket countershafts. Don't get one of those. The machining is poor and there is no oil plug in the end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 20, 2007 - 07:49 AM

If this is one of the 6-spline (or was it 5) shafts, this is why they upped the number of splines.

• timothypg

Posted June 20, 2007 - 03:32 PM

I kind of thought the age might have something to do w/ the prob. and i will get a oem shaft for sure, also i will look for a shaft w/ more splines- great info. i would not have thought of that:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted June 20, 2007 - 10:24 PM

I'm pretty sure that the later model years countershafts with the large number of splines are compatible. I can't say it with 100% for sure though.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.