Fuel mixture screw question

7 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 19, 2007 - 05:33 PM

When the tempature gets in the 80's and 90's outside when riding do you need to turn the fuel screw in to richen it in these type of temps or do you need to turn it out to lean the mixture at these temps.:thumbsup:

• tnl

Posted June 19, 2007 - 06:03 PM

I thought that turning the screw in closes up the fuel passage thus making it run leaner (less gas)?

• mn519

Posted June 19, 2007 - 06:08 PM

turn it in to lean it. turn it out to richen it.

turn it in with higher temps as there is less 'air in the air' (it is less dense)

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2007 - 10:19 PM

turn it in to lean it. turn it out to richen it.

turn it in with higher temps as there is less 'air in the air' (it is less dense)

Yep. It's a fuel metering screw, not an air metering screw. And increases in temp has the same effect as increases in altitude.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 20, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Makes sense!.....I will do that on riding the next 90 degree day

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 21, 2007 - 11:24 AM

Blingy fuel screw is a waste of time and money. Just fatten up the pilot jet a tad, set the screw to 1.75 turns out, and just ride the dam bike. After my rejet, I have ridden in temps of 50F all the way up to 80, and my bike runs great with no screw tweaking.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 21, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Blingy fuel screw is a waste of time and money. Just fatten up the pilot jet a tad, set the screw to 1.75 turns out, and just ride the dam bike. After my rejet, I have ridden in temps of 50F all the way up to 80, and my bike runs great with no screw tweaking.

first I have heard of this....I guarantee you this does not work in my geo.......to much humidity and temp changes....

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 21, 2007 - 06:14 PM

I beefed up the pilot to a 48 but I have been riding my 06 with 2 1/8 turns out on the screw so when I go to the track saturday I will experiment at 1 1/2 turns out cause its suppose to be in the upper 80's this weekend here.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.