Do I have a head gasket leak?

4 replies to this topic
  • BoyceLaForest

Posted June 19, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have a 83 honda XL600
The cylinder head shows what I think looks like a very small amount of oil in between the fins on the middle gasket... the bottom is fine and the valve cover is fine.. I cannot feel any air come out with my hand when I rev it up. The bike seems to run fine, how can I tell? Compression check or something even easier for free?

• BoyceLaForest

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:13 AM

I checked out the clymer manual, apparently there is a oil passage right where the leak is... the gasket must not be seated properly, the leak is so minor that I will ignore it for now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoyceLaForest

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:05 AM

I checked out the clymer manual, apparently there is a oil passage right where the leak is... the gasket must not be seated properly, the leak is so minor that I will ignore it for now.

I torqued the bolt that holds the middle of the oil line to head.. leak gone!
w00t!

• martinfan30

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:41 AM

I torqued the bolt that holds the middle of the oil line to head.. leak gone!
w00t!

this happened to me before my last adventure ride! i was freakn out till i retorqued the banjo bolt! i like to loosen it after an oil change while cranking over engine to get oil up top quicker.

• Motosprtman

Posted June 29, 2007 - 10:29 AM

Good on ya for finding the problem and reparing it. As a side note, a leaking head gasket will usually result in rough idle and poor performance.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.