Sae 10-30

10 replies to this topic
  • janner

Posted June 19, 2007 - 04:13 PM

07 xr650L.....honda recommends 30 weight oil........but I believe it was a heavier weight in earlier models?...if so, why the change??..I asked this question at a dealership and I was told that the 07 model has a tighter tolerence build compared to earlier models hence the weight change, does that sound right :thumbsup:

Temperatures are up in the mid 90's where I live and due to go higher.....30 weight seems a bit light to me.......Should I be considering a 40 weight?

Opinions?.

Thanks.

• cleonard

Posted June 19, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Air cooled bikes run really hot compared to water cooled ones. I would think that a 40 weight would be the right thing. I run Rotella 15W-40 in my air cooled bikes.

• martinfan30

Posted June 19, 2007 - 04:42 PM

i use honda 10w-40 in winter here, 20w-50 in summer. it gets pretty hot here!

• Huffa 2

Posted June 19, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Air cooled bikes run really hot compared to water cooled ones. I would think that a 40 weight would be the right thing. I run Rotella 15W-40 in my air cooled bikes.

I'm a Rotella fan too.

Good oil at a bargin price. I use the stuff in everything......... cars, bikes, trikes, mowers...........anything with an engine, it's in. :thumbsup:

"I was told that the 07 model has a tighter tolerence build compared to earlier models hence the weight change, does that sound right"

My 94 manual says 10w30 or 40, well 30 up to 90 degrees.

• chuck2000

Posted June 19, 2007 - 06:52 PM

The 2007 XR650L owner's manual says that the recommended oil is SAE 10W-30, but it also says, "Other viscosities shown in the accompanying chart may be used when the average temperature in your riding area is within the indicated range." Well, use your best judgement, but it looks to me that whenever the average temperature is 60F or above, Honda is saying 10W-40 is fine.

I just did my 600 mile service, per the instructions, and I used Honda GN4 10W-40.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:47 AM

im in the CA desert right next to XR's only they told me 20/50 for my L so thats what im using here in the summers. i would use the 10/40 at least.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 20, 2007 - 06:02 AM

07 xr650L.....honda recommends 30 weight oil........but I believe it was a heavier weight in earlier models?...if so, why the change??..I asked this question at a dealership and I was told that the 07 model has a tighter tolerence build compared to earlier models hence the weight change, does that sound right

I don't know this as fact, but my thoughts are it is the same engine, built the same way, with the same parts. Oil has changed over the last decade, and many auto manufacturers are pointing us to thinner oils partly due to tighter manufacturing/design tolerances, but MAINLY due to the fuel economy numbers a lighter oil provides (you know, the Energy Conserving rating value that is aided by thinner base stock and friction modifiers such as molybdenum).

Perhaps the 30w recommendation may also be due to availability or the ubiquity of 30w oils? Sometimes I simply cannot locate a 10w-40 on the shelf anymore.

I don't take anything a dealer says as reality. Ask him for written documentation of any sort on his statement. Bet him a new bike off of his floor that he CAN'T locate it (since it is rumor, at best, and false information for lip service to appear knowledgeable to you, at worst).

Oh, and I am also a fan of Rotella 15w-40. I also run Castrol GTX 20w-50 sometimes. Airheads can handle heavier oils, and get hot enough to warrant them.

• martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 02:37 PM

isnt it true that the "honda" brand uses special additives that these bikes need?

• Huffa 2

Posted June 20, 2007 - 03:41 PM

isnt it true that the "honda" brand uses special additives that these bikes need?

It sure is what they want you to believe !

What does Honda charge for a quart of none synthetic now ?

A gallon of Rotella T 15W40 is between 8 and 9 bucks I think.

• Rman of 237

Posted June 20, 2007 - 07:46 PM

I use HP4 20-50 without moly. Honda sells it for about $8.00 a qt. Its expensive but its all I've ever used because I hate the idea of changing brands.:thumbsup: I live in TX where it rarely gets below 45 degs. in winter and stays above 70 most of the year. I would never use anything but 20-50. 10-40 is too thin for this climate! I dont care what the guy at the dealership says.
There are hundreds of opinions on oil on TT so that is just my $.02 worth.:thumbsup:
Rman.....

• martinfan30

Posted June 20, 2007 - 08:43 PM

I use HP4 20-50 without moly. Honda sells it for about $8.00 a qt. Its expensive but its all I've ever used because I hate the idea of changing brands.:thumbsup: I live in TX where it rarely gets below 45 degs. in winter and stays above 70 most of the year. I would never use anything but 20-50. 10-40 is too thin for this climate! I dont care what the guy at the dealership says.
There are hundreds of opinions on oil on TT so that is just my $.02 worth.:busted:
Rman.....

im with you rman on this!:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.