useing zipties to secure spokes

27 replies to this topic
  • jamiehughes

Posted June 20, 2007 - 05:29 PM

i'm thinking it's a good idea, but i think it would look kind of silly. with 50 zipties on your wheels. sounds like something we used to do with our bicycles, like pinning a card on the spokes to make it sound cool.

• rideawn

Posted March 01, 2008 - 01:24 PM

I just found a broken spoke on the chain side. About 1/8" still goes into the hub. I think it actually broke in the hub. Until I can get it replaced, would it be better to cut it out and remove it or zipty/wire it in place? I need about 4-6 hours more of riding on it before I can get it replaced.

• William1

Posted March 01, 2008 - 01:33 PM

One broken spoke is going to stress the rest and others will be prone to breaking, and possibly pretzeling your rim. replace the spoke, re-torque and true.

• King_Air

Posted March 01, 2008 - 02:06 PM

One broken spoke is going to stress the rest and others will be prone to breaking, and possibly pretzeling your rim. replace the spoke, re-torque and true.

+ 1 on what William said. It would be a gamble to keep riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted March 01, 2008 - 02:36 PM

back to the original topic:

There was actually a product made that snapped to each set of spokes where they crossed to do the same job as the zip ties. I dont know who made them, but I have seen them on bikes.

They are called Spoke Savers. I remember Mike Alessi running them on his bike at Millville for his first pro race. They do snap on, but they also zip tie on as well.

• RJB

Posted March 01, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Guess I've been lucky so far - no issues with spokes loosening on the 02 or 07 I've got so far (touch wood). Check then regularly using the 'tuning fork' method (it is a Yamaha after all) :smirk:

• todds924

Posted March 02, 2008 - 08:29 PM

But if you will ziptie them together or safetywire them they wont work loose anymore:rolleyes:...... Ive got 34 hours on my 06 450f and ziptied my spokes together when I first bought it and not a spoke one has came loose.:smirk:

They will still loosen with zip ty's.......If you stay on top of your spoke tightening when the bike is new, after awhile they wont loosen anymore.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:41 PM

When you do this, do you do it parallel to the hub and rym or perpendicular?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.