Honda 680RN

13 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted June 18, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Just came across this, interesting .............

http://www.hondaredr...&Type=OR&bhcp=1

Posted Image

• HeadTrauma

Posted June 18, 2007 - 09:24 PM

I've heard of it.....mainly this:

"It was faster than all the two-strokes of the time, but we had pumped it up so much we were grossly exceeding the design limits of the entire bike.

Durability became an issue. The 680 made so much horsepower it would just crack the center cases horizontally. Then we started exploding rear wheels, bending swingarms, stuff like that. It sure was fun to ride, though. It was incredibly fast. The Monster never finished a race, but we learned a lot."

• crmc33

Posted June 19, 2007 - 12:52 AM

what I dont understand is why the engine would break the cases just because of the extra power.
Im interested as I run a 680 road racer and never had a problem with this....erm....yet!

• cbaranski

Posted June 19, 2007 - 09:09 AM

I'd like to know what swing arm that is?

• rmhrc630

Posted June 19, 2007 - 11:59 AM

I'd like to know what swing arm that is?

Very very good pickup there!!!!

I think it's from the CR250?

• cleonard

Posted June 19, 2007 - 12:37 PM

what I dont understand is why the engine would break the cases just because of the extra power.
Im interested as I run a 680 road racer and never had a problem with this....erm....yet!

I think part of the reason for failure is how the bike was used in the baja races. It is those extended periods of wide open in fifth that do the engine in. Add in some shifts without letting off the gas and you get the recipe for a kaboom. I only have a stock XR600 and I rarely keep the bike at wide open. It is only the occasional dry lake speed run for a few minutes at most.

• weskc35k

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:22 AM

I just want one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big Red Paul

Posted October 18, 2007 - 01:23 AM

Lovely Bike, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think those Super Trapp exhausts look super crapp. Very esthetically unpleasing.

• martinfan30

Posted October 18, 2007 - 11:51 AM

an incredible bike. i dont know i like the look of the super trapp.:crazy:

• crmc33

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:16 PM

Im guessing it cracked the cases btwn the crank and the gearbox bearing if anywhere??

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 18, 2007 - 02:43 PM

The great French writer Guy de Maupassant considering the Eiffel Tower a monstrosity, was said to have taken lunch everyday on the Eiffel Tower because it was the only place in Paris where he didn't have to look at the tower.

I would rather ride a bike with a Supper Trapp, than ride with a buddy who has a Supper Trapp on his bike.

• jclaus98

Posted October 18, 2007 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, it would split the engine case right down the middle because it made so much torque that it would separate the tranny in half. Same thing happens to cars when you have too much torque for the transmission, the only way to fix the problem is to have physically larger gears, capable of transferring the power over a larger surface area.

• BOLT Performance

Posted October 18, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Fellas that's a very old bike... SuperTrapp was the only game in town then.

• FZ1426

Posted October 19, 2007 - 07:35 AM

Lovely Bike, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think those Super Trapp exhausts look super crapp. Very esthetically unpleasing.

Yeah, but they make great power on a long stroke thumper.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.