Inspection bolt alternatives XR600

7 replies to this topic
  • asf

Posted June 18, 2007 - 11:13 AM

Im sick of using a hammer every time I need to get my stripped inspection bolt off. Anyone know of any billet or such alternatives for me to replace this with?

• Kawabuggy

Posted June 18, 2007 - 11:29 AM

Might I be so bold as to inquire which "inspection" bolt you are referring to? I'm sure someone here can help you, we just need a little more information.

Where does this bolt go?

• creeky

Posted June 18, 2007 - 12:40 PM

Im sick of using a hammer every time I need to get my stripped inspection bolt off. Anyone know of any billet or such alternatives for me to replace this with?

I'm going to take a leap here and assume that you are talking about the timing hole cap and/or the flywheel nut hole cap. A Honda dealer is the only place that I have ever found them.

• asf

Posted June 18, 2007 - 12:55 PM

Yep that's the bolt I mean. Both of them get siezed on even with the smallest amount of torque. The flywheel bolt is the beg problem since the timing bolt cover is slotted and I can punch it with a hammer and screwdriver. I have marred up the flywheel bolt and it is still stuck. I even put a copper anti-sieze to no avail. The metals are too dissimlar and seem to fuse. My 89 has a magnesium cover and that aluminum bolt is so soft...Every time i try to get the flywheel cap off I strip the threads, and I'm sick of paying $15 every time I want to check my valves! I've even tried an impact hex head and it still destroys the cap. I could use the kickstart but that requires a friend to locate the timing mark and TDC as I turn over the motor. Whine whine whine....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted June 18, 2007 - 04:36 PM

I have experienced the same problem with older XRs that I have owned, especially the ones with the slotted caps, but it seems that since '96 or so, the problem kind of disappeared. Anyway, I always smear a little anti-sieze on the threads and O-ring when I put them back in and use very little tightening force.

• Kawabuggy

Posted June 18, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Okay, here is what I have to offer... Since the threads DO NOT form the seal, the rubber o-ring does, you are probably over-tightening a bit. I use anti-seize, and turn the inspection bolt until it is just starting to get tight, and then 1/8 turn more.. I mean just a tad... I don't have any problems getting mine in & out.

Try putting teflon tape on the threads next time, and not tightening them very much. I think you will be pleased with the results.

• cleonard

Posted June 18, 2007 - 05:10 PM

I never take those out any more when I check my valves. I just turn the crank with the kick start and make sure that the cam is in the middle of the closed part.

• beezerjoe

Posted June 18, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Another option would be to take out the sparkplug,put the trans in high gear with the rear wheel off the ground and bump the engine over with the rear wheel until the marks line up or the cam is where you want it.This is alittle less touchy than using the kickstarter I've found.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.