linkage seal removal

5 replies to this topic
  • swatdoc

Posted June 18, 2007 - 01:39 AM

I wanna remove my linkage seals so I can powdercoat the links. Getting the bearings out is no big deal, just wanna know if I can just push out the seals without ruining them.

Read all the posts on re greasing the bearings, but couldn't find anything on removing the seals. This is an 07 450.

thanks

Doc

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:03 AM

Removing the seals without damage may prove to be somewhat difficult. There are very few instances where seals can or should be re-used once extracted. The bearing races will also need to come out.

Bear in mind, the linkage is aluminum, and should not be subjected to heat in excess of 325 degrees. A better idea would be to anodize it.

• swatdoc

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Gray - do the races come out easily or do they need to be pressed out?

Anodizing would be my preference, but there is no one in the entire state of HI that does it. I have my own home powdercoating setup and I do limit the temp to 325 on alum parts.

BTW - do you have a source for the info on the max temp for aluminum? I was telling this to the guy who powdercoated my frame, and he hadn't heard of it. I'd like to show him a good source. (I had him do my frame at 325 btw)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2007 - 07:18 AM

First, you have to understand that there are a lot of aluminum alloys, and some are more sensitive to heat than others. It pretty much breaks down into "heat treatable" and "weldable". Those aluminum components that can be welded are generally much less prone to temper modification at moderate heat levels. Billets of certain high strength alloys like 2024 and 7075 can be adversely affected by temperatures as low as 100-200 C, (212-425 F). Castings and forgings might fall into either category, depending on the alloy used.

Complicated welded structures like frames can also deform if heated to the point where changes in the metals begin to occur. Another hazard is that aluminum is heat treated and aged in solutions, with air being excluded. Baking a PC job is done in an oven.

It's such a complicated subject that it's hard to find any simple, definitive info in print, and I'm not a metallurgist. So, the 350 degree "barrier" is a kind of general rule to follow that should keep you out of trouble. That's the best I can do.

• msgbean

Posted June 19, 2007 - 09:36 AM

The seals pop out easily with a screw driver. Just stick it under and carefully pry it up (from the inside not the outer edge). I would not remove the bearings unless you are replacing them. they are very tight.

• swatdoc

Posted June 19, 2007 - 01:29 PM

thanks guys

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.