XR650R vs DRZ400?!?!?!?!?

10 replies to this topic
  • lucky13

Posted June 17, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Since before purchasing my XR650R SuperMoto 2 years ago I had always heard on how much of a "Monster" the bike was. I have a friend that I always ride with that has a 2000 DRZ400 that's tarded too and every time we ride together I can never get away from him. My gearing is 15/42 (from what I know), and his is 15/39. My bike was supposedly uncorked, has a K&N filter, but does not have the airbox mod. Could that one mod really make that much of a difference.

And for those who may say maybe he's just a faster rider, my bike was on the limiter in 2 or 3 gears straight. The only time that I know I'm faster is on a VERY long straight where I'll walk by him. And I'm talking a 90 yr old with a walker.

Advise?!?!? Shouldn't my bike be spanking his?!?!?

• Fordskin

Posted June 17, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Yes in deed. Sounds like your bike is corked up some how. Either that or your mate had some serious work done to his bike.:thumbsup:

• beerjonny

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:47 PM

I own them both. XR should pull the DRZ for a joke IN A STRAIGHT LINE. But a good rider can get nearly the same out of both in some twisty tight stuff.

• uncleroby

Posted June 18, 2007 - 02:04 AM

I owned a XR650R and now I have a DRZ400E.

The XR is more powerful and funny on road but it is harder to take to the limit, thus it maybe not faster then a DRZ especially on twisty roads or dirty tarmac.
I prefer the DRZ for off trail riding but on fast off road or on road the XR650R is more fun!

• lucky13

Posted June 18, 2007 - 03:30 AM

From what we both know about his bike the only mod that has been done is the airbox mod & subsiquant rejetting. He has the DRZ400S model and even has the stock pipe. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • uncleroby

Posted June 18, 2007 - 03:58 AM

The DRZ-S is far slower then the XR650R, maybe he is a good pilot!

• lucky13

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:56 AM

The DRZ-S is far slower then the XR650R, maybe he is a good pilot!

I would dare say on the street I usually have the advantage, but on dirt he wins hands down.

• XRR-kat

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:44 AM

Dude,
You're geared way tall.
Stock is 14/48.
15/42 is Motard gearing; try the stock gearing for trail riding.
And yes the air vent opening makes a huge difference in revs.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 18, 2007 - 10:10 AM

I own the DRZ400S and the XR650R. Their is no replacement for displacement. The XR will definitely get there much quicker than the DRZ. But the DRZ does surprise me at it's capabilities. In the tight stuff I can definately out ride my XR on the DRZ. It out turns the XR and can be ridden faster on the twisty trails. The DRZ feels and rides like it is much lighter than the XR.

I agree with the above posts. Change your sprockets on the XR. The big XR's gearing is too tall in stock configuration (in my opinion). I like 14X51 or 52. How often do you need to go over 90mph anywhere? The 14X51 or 52 will get you into the faster digits really fast and make it easier on you in the tight woods.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 18, 2007 - 02:01 PM

Maybe the XR doesn't even have the carb restrictor removed...

But that said, I've been known to piss people off keeping up on the most outlandishly unlikely vehicles...

Dave

• doc8m

Posted June 18, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Dude,
You're geared way tall.
Stock is 14/48.
15/42 is Motard gearing; try the stock gearing for trail riding.
And yes the air vent opening makes a huge difference in revs.

I agree. W/ 14/48 lots of quick response, and you can lug it in low for slow speed technical terraine, no problem. In the dez I use 15/48 for just a bit more top end. Yes, ya gotta open the air and exhaust. As I recall, the air box change required corresponding jetting change, I don't recall exactly what jets.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.