oil drain plug

2 replies to this topic
  • Jeremy23

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I just got a 98 wr 400 and the guy wasnt too great at maintenance (changed alot already) but the oil drain bolt is stripped. I am going to eventually get it removed somehow...??? but is it cool to ride if I drain it out of the frame drain bolt, alot of oil came out, and also clean the oil filter. or would I be leaving alot of stuff not drained to hurt the engine, thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • responding

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:45 PM

if you've run the motor to warm before changing it, most of the oil will be in the frame. If you change the filter, and it looks clean (no shavings from clutch or metal), then you might be ok to ride. I'd probably do it, just because i'm an addict, and can't wait to get things fixed right. When I drain my oil, I get very little out of the case, and alot from the frame. If you let it sit too long though, all the oil will drain down into the case, and you won't get nearly enough out. Kinda expensive machines to half a$$ things though...

• taterbean

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:55 PM

Ya when i warm up the engine good then drain the frame I get 90% out, I suppose if you clean the filter it isnt a big deal to do it that way, change oil fairly often and get 90% everytime....or you could spend an hour and get the bolt out and get the other 7oz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.