650L Staintune exhaust system

4 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted June 17, 2007 - 05:29 AM

By chance, anyone running this set up ? It's made in Ausrailia but there are plenty of dealers in the USA.

What really interests me is that they state : " STAINTUNE pipes are actually one of the quietest aftermarket exhausts you can buy. Even with the sound restrictors removed, they still come in a few decibels less than almost all other aftermarkets pipes. "

They have them for the R model aslo. Sort of confusing that their R is actually an L :thumbsup:

http://www.staintune.com.au/index.html

Posted Image

• rmhrc630

Posted June 17, 2007 - 01:15 PM

Our R is not an L.

Up until 2000 we had Rs.

Then for some strange reason Honda started importing the Ls. Note they are completely different bikes -as if made by a different manufacturer.

I run a full pre quiet staintune on my R - great pipe that has a real bark off idle.
Posted Image

Putting around - it's very quiet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted June 17, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Do I see provisions for the header heat sheild ?

Man, they are EXPENSIVE though :thumbsup:

XR600/650L SPORT RACE MUFFLER** (Does not fit 1989-90 XR600) 335A3 $449.99

BIG BORE HEADER SET 335J5 $359.99

• rmhrc630

Posted June 17, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Do I see provisions for the header heat sheild ?

Man, they are EXPENSIVE though :thumbsup:

XR600/650L SPORT RACE MUFFLER** (Does not fit 1989-90 XR600) 335A3 $449.99

BIG BORE HEADER SET 335J5 $359.99

Yes they have full provision for the header shield.

Thats weird on pricing - I owuld buy a used one off Ebay

Prices down here are $275 Aussie for headers and $500 for exhaust.

85 US cents buys one Aussie dollar

• exaresix

Posted June 18, 2007 - 06:13 AM

I recently bought the full Staintune system. Two months ago, they had a huge price increase with the header pipe going for $399 retail, whereas the muffler stayed about the same. The muffler is well crafted with a one screw removable restrictor baffle. The bike is medium loud with the piece in and moderate loud with it removed. I actually like the sound better with it in. I tried the header pipe and did not like it as much as the stock pipes (I'm in the minority here!) First, they yellow immediately, not a horrible thing, but the matte black of the stock headers looks better than yellow to my eye. BTW, the stock header mates up perfectly with the Staintune muffler. Second, I don't like the weld joinery at about six inches out on the header (one per pipe). it looks a bit Mickey Mouse to me, however it is tons better than the horrible welds on the XRs Only stainless header (two per pipe). The stock Honda system has no weld and is nicely curved. I'm not sure what it is about stainless, but it kicks off a huge amount of heat through the metal, you can really feel it. I couldn't tell any difference in performance from stock to Staintune. One other tiny glitch, there is a crease in the Staintune header directly under where the kick starter lies. I thought my pipe had been damaged in shipping, however others have informed me that this is a factory stamping to give a little more clearance for the kickstart lever. It would have been nice if they had placed the crease in direct alignment with the kickstarter, but it is at a 45 deg. angle to the pipe and really looks wrong.

The Staintune header is really well made though, and the stock heat shield bolts right on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.