springs

12 replies to this topic
  • kalin

Posted February 16, 2002 - 04:52 PM

Do I have to revalve if I respring my suspension?I weigh 225 lbs, any sugestions?

• RWCWOH

Posted February 16, 2002 - 05:11 PM

I too am "big boned" :) , and needed to respring. I went with a 5.6 rear spring and left the fork springs stock. Be sure to spend some time to set your sag to proper levels. With your new springs all you should need to do is add a liitle rebound dampening for the stiffer springs.

• kalin

Posted February 17, 2002 - 02:42 AM

Originally posted by RWCWOH:
I too am "big boned" :) , and needed to respring. I went with a 5.6 rear spring and left the fork springs stock. Be sure to spend some time to set your sag to proper levels. With your new springs all you should need to do is add a liitle rebound dampening for the stiffer springs.

• kalin

Posted February 17, 2002 - 02:43 AM

Originally posted by RWCWOH:

• kalin

Posted February 17, 2002 - 02:46 AM

Originally posted by kalin:
[QB][/QB]

So how much do you weigh? How did you figure out what spring to use? Do you ride enduros? Did you move the handlebars forward? T hanks for your reply

• John_Curea

Posted February 17, 2002 - 03:40 AM

kalin

It is not neccessary to revalve when you install the correct springs for your weight.

You are headed in the right direction, what year bike are riding?

Take care, John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kalin

Posted February 17, 2002 - 04:09 AM

Originally posted by John Curea:
kalin

It is not neccessary to revalve when you install the correct springs for your weight.

You are headed in the right direction, what year bike are riding?

Take care, John

• RWCWOH

Posted February 17, 2002 - 08:20 AM

I weight in at 230lbs w/gear. To find the proper spring rate you could check thr Race Tech web site, or do a search on the this topic on this site.
Also by setting your static sag ,.5 inch, then checking your race sag, you w/ full gear, feet on pegs, should be in the 3 to 4 inch range.
If your spring is too weak for your weight, when race sag is set properly, you will lose your static sag, since you had to over tighten the spring to hold up all that weight :) , there will be too much preload on the spring to have proper static sag. Once you get the right spring on it you will only need to add one or two clicks to the dampening to adjust for woods or mx.
By the way I ride 80% woods , 20% mx. I race H/S , Enduros , and the occasional MX. I am a B rider in all events, and the WR is the best weapon for those who ride it all!!

• John_Curea

Posted February 17, 2002 - 10:05 PM

Chuck

The 1999 WR400 came with 5.0 shock spring and .46 fork springs. The ideal springs for your weight would be .48 fork and 5.6 shock. Your stock fork springs are pretty close, but the shock spring is way soft. If I was to put in order the best money spent it would be as follows:

1. Shock Spring
2. Fork springs
3. Some good revalve work to fit your style of riding. Also I would recommend a heavy shock bumper.

Take Care, John

• Stumpy

Posted February 18, 2002 - 05:20 AM

Do you (or anyone else) still have the .46 springs for the front? Want to sell them? I have .48s and I want to try the softer springs for the riding I do... h/s and enduro.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted February 18, 2002 - 09:55 AM

I've got 46's from my 99 WR... I would be interested in the 48's.

Mr T

• Stumpy

Posted February 18, 2002 - 10:00 PM

The only thing is I want to keep the .48s in case I don't like what the .46s do for me. Still want to get rid of them? How much?

• KerryT

Posted February 18, 2002 - 10:05 PM

I have the stock '99 WR400 springs that I can part with. Let me know if you're still interested. You can email me @: KLayneTarman@Hotmail.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.