Reeds Bike at Budd's

33 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2007 - 07:47 PM

I'm assuming most local mortals arnt landing hard enough to need that? or is it something we should consider?

Let me just say that it is most unlikely that it would happen to me. :thumbsup:

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:46 AM

Its interesting to see that kind of bracing on a dirt machine. Lots of Sportbikes have it but on an MX?

• CaptDan

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Its interesting to see that kind of bracing on a dirt machine. Lots of Sportbikes have it but on an MX?

Plus, I bet that bike is still right at the minimum-allowed weight, even with the added bracing. :thumbsup:
Makes you wonder how light they could make a 450cc bike. :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted June 18, 2007 - 11:24 AM

There could be any number of reasons to use 24/53 instead of 13/49 (the ratios are virtually identical). Gearing flexibility, swing arm clearance, all kinds of reasons why they might have gone that way. If nothing else, it's marginally more efficient and easier on the chain to run it over larger sprockets than over smaller ones.

From the pictures, you can't really see whether the external vent line (which is on the right side, not the left) is still there or not, although in other pictures of Reed's bike, it hasn't been there. But that just means that they did the same thing another way, because the tank has to be pressure balanced with the crankcase by some means, even if they both simply vent to the atmosphere.

I would almost dare say that with this gearing...Reed may be running a 4speed tranny......:thumbsup:

• ____Kurt____

Posted June 18, 2007 - 11:57 AM

thats pretty trick. i wonder if its for the swingarm or linkage?

• mn519

Posted June 18, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I would almost dare say that with this gearing...Reed may be running a 4speed tranny......:thumbsup:

I would bet that all the works 450's are 4 speeds, if not 3 even. The internal ratios are definately not stock either.

• SC_Spode

Posted June 18, 2007 - 01:21 PM

I would bet that all the works 450's are 4 speeds, if not 3 even. The internal ratios are definately not stock either.

Agreed.

Ferry had a 3-speed a few years ago.

Non-functional plastic gears are a lot lighter than steel ones.

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rm125ridwe

Posted June 18, 2007 - 01:26 PM

found this on transworld website
[quote name='http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/']While checking in on "The Chad," we happened to spot this strange-looking swingarm with a brace welded to it on the back of his Factory Yamaha YZ450F. Chad's Team Manager, Larry Brooks, went on to explain to us that the piece is just there for extra reinforcement in the rear end, and that they discovered its advantages while testing recently.[/QUOTE]

• Ron Hamp

Posted June 18, 2007 - 02:02 PM

ill bet theres less chance that a chain comes off do to swing arm flex and ill bet thats why they pursued the reinforceing of the arm not the handling .

• warrior86

Posted June 18, 2007 - 06:12 PM

do the swingarms reallly flex that much??? they seem so beefy as it is i never imagined that being an issue....but i guess at the pro level, even your left nut can be an issue.

• Justin89

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:41 PM

Thats definately different...but cool.

• berudd

Posted June 19, 2007 - 09:49 AM

Let me just say that it is most unlikely that it would happen to me. :thumbsup:

I know some that had it happen and he is not very fast.

• Daltoneious

Posted June 21, 2007 - 01:01 PM

I know some that had it happen and he is not very fast.

i'm seen it happen. all that has to happen is a few harsh landings and the subframe mount bolt will bend and stretch slowly pivoting the subframe on the lower mount bolts. i saw a kid on a ktm 250sxf land hard repeatedly until the frame actually stretched enough to pull the carb boot off.

that brace doesnt look to be attached directly to the linkage but where the linkage mounts to the frame. maybe it improves the shock feel on big g-outs, which budds has. i can't see how there's much strain on that brace until the shock is near bottoming.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2007 - 02:52 PM

that brace doesnt look to be attached directly to the linkage but where the linkage mounts to the frame. maybe it improves the shock feel on big g-outs, which budds has. i can't see how there's much strain on that brace until the shock is near bottoming.

You better put some more thought into that. A brace running between the swing arm and the frame would stop the swing arm from moving at all until it got torn off. The brace is a simple loop that runs from one side of the swing arm to the other to stiffen it against twisting along its length.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.