YZ426 in the woods???

12 replies to this topic
  • RiderX

Posted June 16, 2007 - 07:53 PM

Will this bike be too portly in the tight stuff? I've owned an 02 YZ250F and I liked it, but I felt it was a little top heavy and the front end pushed a little. So I sold it and I bought a KTM 2 stroke, and I loved the bike but I missed the smooth tractable power. I'm thinking of going back to 4 stroke and I found a good deal on a '00 YZ426. I ride singletrack with a good mix of terrain. Is this bike gonna do well?

• Wiz636

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:53 AM

I have an '02 with a Rekluse and wood gearing (13/50) and it works great.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:57 PM

I have an 00 and ride 80% woods. No problems on the tight stuff. All about the gearing. Yeah the 426's are a little top heavy but still a great woods bike with only minor setups such as gearing & tires. Fly-wheel weight would be good as well. As mentioned, the rekluse is the bomb.

- RCD

• RiderX

Posted June 18, 2007 - 06:09 AM

Going to pick it up tonight. Here's a couple of pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image

• bigdubdeisel04

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Going to pick it up tonight. Here's a couple of pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image

wow, it looks great. how much did you pay for it?

• gildnernorth101

Posted June 18, 2007 - 10:57 AM

Flywheel weight and hot cams auto decomp cam it will be like kicking over a 2 stroke

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RiderX

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:19 PM

wow, it looks great. how much did you pay for it?

$1500. It's even better than it looks in the pictures. It's got an aftermarket kickstand, new chain and sprockets 13/51, an aluminum skid plate, handguards, a Talon rear hub, new plastic and graphics, but it's mostly stock. It starts first kick cold and shift like a new bike. The guy who sold it to me raced it in an over 50 class and took very good care of it. I think I scored a pretty good deal....can't wait to get it out on the trail!!

• PAULZ

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:53 PM

Looks great. Lets see some more pics of it.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Dude, make sure you pull up those seal savers! They are only supposed to go about 2 inches max onto the lower fork tubes. The long design is to protect the upper fork tubes.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Also it looks like the previous owner already set the forks up higher in the triple clamps, so it should turn just fine for any type of riding.

• RiderX

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Dude, make sure you pull up those seal savers! They are only supposed to go about 2 inches max onto the lower fork tubes. The long design is to protect the upper fork tubes.

Yeah, I noticed that. I might order new ones, they don't fit very well....they're for a KTM.

It's also got some sort of Nology spark enhancing device.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:31 PM

I got some Tusk short ones from rockymountainatv.com and they work great! They make long ones as well if you want more protection from rocks shooting off rear tires in front of you. They are much cheaper than seal savers and are the same quality!

• felix 222

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:39 PM

i ride my 02 426 on single track trails every once in a while and i do fine with stock front sprocket and 51-53 in the back.

good luck and have fun on your new bike:thumbsup:

EDIT: i haven't had much trouble with my stock flywheel but i recommend purchasing a heavier flywheel or weight if you mainly do single track

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.