Weird Starting Problem today

6 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted June 16, 2007 - 05:52 PM

I was out for a ride today and the bike stalled, hehe, anyhow when i hit the magic button it just went click like the battery was dead, i though she must have stopped charging so i kicked her over and drove right home (about a minute away), checked charging system and battery, by turning on headlight for a few minutes, and cranked her over again just fine, anyone else have anything like this happen to their 06 wr?

• arleybeer40

Posted June 16, 2007 - 05:58 PM

The gear on the starter proably was lined right up with the gear to the crank. Happens sometimes those little bendix gears are strong and it will lock the tooth on the starter gear into the tooth on the other gear. No workey

• SXP

Posted June 16, 2007 - 07:18 PM

I was out for a ride today and the bike stalled, hehe, anyhow when i hit the magic button it just went click like the battery was dead, i though she must have stopped charging so i kicked her over and drove right home (about a minute away), checked charging system and battery, by turning on headlight for a few minutes, and cranked her over again just fine, anyone else have anything like this happen to their 06 wr?

If the piston stops close to TDC on the up stroke (point of maximum compression), the starter doesn't have the oomph to spin it past that point. If you had rocked the bike in gear to get the piston past that "sticky" point, there was a good chance she would have fired right up. It's been discussed many, many times before - I'm surprised you haven't read about it before.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tony1970

Posted June 16, 2007 - 10:29 PM

Check your starter cut off relay which is located just behind and above the airbox. My starter quit working and you could hear the relay clicking after pushing the button. Acted just like a dead battery. It would work and then it would not work. Then it just quit. I tested it just like the manual said and found very high resistance, so it would not send full voltage to the starter solnoid relay. Tore the old one apart and found heavy carbon build up on the contacts. Hope this helps, good luck.

• MountainMax

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info guys, now that you mention it, I vagly remember reading something on this before, just never put 2 and 2 together, I panicked when it happened and never thought over much before posting......... if it happens again I will check my relay, thanks again.

• jnybbad1l40

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Could it be the YZ cam? I have heard that when the engine gets hot it is sometimes harder to start!

• Beejay

Posted June 17, 2007 - 02:22 PM

if it happens again just rock her in gear.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.