TPS Questions

8 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted June 16, 2007 - 05:49 PM

I know there have been others speak of this before but I was doing some testing, I found at cruise on the roads my engine would hickup and buck a little with the tps hooked up, when i unplug it she would run fine. Then i noticed power, with it unplugged at 6000 rpm exactly the power would hit hard, with it plugged in power was more smooth right through. then noticed the bike was harder on fuel with it disconnected and had less power under 6000 rpm's for doing wheelies in 4'th, big difference here. So my point is, what exactly does this sensor do? does it adjust cdi timing? or lean out the carb? I would like to keep it hooked up but i can't get the jetting to get rid of this problem, i tried driving at close to freezing and wicked hot, and she always bucks a little at light cruise with the tps hooked up, and it gets on my nerves. What can i do?

• Solo

Posted June 16, 2007 - 08:03 PM

The CDI box uses the signal from the TPS to adjust the ignition timing. The TPS can be adjusted. It could also be bad. You need to consult the manual for testing/adjustment.

• WR_Dave

Posted June 17, 2007 - 04:46 AM

As soon as you get EFI then the TPS will give one of the signals the ECM will need to adjust fueling, the jets we all fiddle with do that now, but for today it tells the CDI how far the throttle is open in relation to engine RPM. Then the CDI adjusts the timing map to match what it has been programmed to do for that particular set of circumstances. :thumbsup: WR Dave.

• SID013

Posted June 18, 2007 - 11:17 PM

As soon as you get EFI then the TPS will give one of the signals the ECM will need to adjust fueling, the jets we all fiddle with do that now, but for today it tells the CDI how far the throttle is open in relation to engine RPM. Then the CDI adjusts the timing map to match what it has been programmed to do for that particular set of circumstances. :thumbsup: WR Dave.

I have a question concerning TPS. I have a Vortex CDI fitted which has 10 maps programmed, 2 selectable from the handlebar. Do I need the TPS hooked up with this type of CDI as I have the same problem as MountainMax.

Cheers from Oz.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted June 19, 2007 - 04:01 AM

Since you live in the country where the Vortex is made you may want to contact the owner ( Richard Muurling
E-mail Address(es):
richard@vortexcdi.com ) of the company and ask him, he was very helpful to me a few years ago. I had a Vortex X10 CDI on my '02 and it was great , but I don't use my bikes for dual sport so the problem you guys are having doesn't seem to bother me as much. WR Dave

• SID013

Posted June 19, 2007 - 04:46 AM

Since you live in the country where the Vortex is made you may want to contact the owner ( Richard Muurling
E-mail Address(es):
richard@vortexcdi.com ) of the company and ask him, he was very helpful to me a few years ago. I had a Vortex X10 CDI on my '02 and it was great , but I don't use my bikes for dual sport so the problem you guys are having doesn't seem to bother me as much. WR Dave

Thanks for that I will do. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Peter

• wingnut16

Posted June 19, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I have this problem as well and have been trying different things for about 2 months now. The one thing that helped the most was disconnecting the grey wire. The second was adjusting the TPS voltage setting, this is in the manual, but I found that if I set mine to the upper limit it worked a little better. Going a little over the upper limit makes it worse. The third thing that I tried was dialing in the pilot jet circuit this had a small effect, but again never got rid of the problelm. I was thinking about changing out the CDI unit with a Vortex but if it is having the same problem I will have to do some more research before spending the money.

Hope this helps,
wingnut16

• MountainMax

Posted June 19, 2007 - 12:37 PM

thanks for the feedback guys, I will try to adjust it, but it only hapened after i done my free typ mods, before that stock was great (but gutless).

• jpoehls

Posted June 20, 2007 - 07:26 AM

I have an 07450. All mods complete. I unhooked TPS as I had hesitation. I did not notice power loss at all, but I am a novice. What is everyones opinion on power loss without TPC?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.