XR650R snapped fork pinch bolts HELP!!

7 replies to this topic
  • mrtee

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:06 PM

HI, new to the forum and this bike. Was tightening the fork pinch bolts and managed to snap 2 of them off.:thumbsup: Is there a stud screwed into the fork leg or is it cast in?

Any tips for a fix?

THanks.

• cubera

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Might be able to drill the remaining bolt and get an EZ Out in to wind them out.

• mrtee

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:17 PM

thanks for the fast reply, do you happen to know if they are studs or if they are cast into the alloy which would stop them turning?

Ta.

• HawkGT

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:51 PM

They are replaceable studs. Only 9 ft/lbs on those--snuggin' em' down with a 1/4 drive socket is sufficient, 9 ft/lbs isn't much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmartinLVNV

Posted June 16, 2007 - 07:06 PM

I've done this myself. They are studs that come out. I unscrewed mine out with a pair of vise grips. They took quite a bit of work to get out.

• BWB63

Posted June 17, 2007 - 07:59 AM

They sell the right studs at ACE hardwear also. Much easier and faster then ordering them from Honda. Usualy there is enough sticking out to grab with chanel locks and spin them out.

• mrtee

Posted June 18, 2007 - 02:45 AM

Thats a relief, Ill try and unscrew them today, theres about 1cm sticking out on each one so should be enought to remove it :thumbsup:

• Denn10

Posted June 18, 2007 - 06:02 AM

USE A TORQUE WRENCH most have no idea how much some of these small bolts need by hand do yourself that favor and your bike. even a cheap one from harbor freight is better than snapping and stripping.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.