Well heres my Hot Cam story!!

19 replies to this topic
  • jnybbad1l40

Posted June 16, 2007 - 01:49 PM

I read numerous post's about trouble with the Hot Cams and E-Start. I had these cams in my 03 wr450 but I had removed the E-Start. I loved the power with the cams, high comp piston and ignition. So I called Hot Cams and explained my reservations about putting them in my 06 Wr. They assured me that they had resolved all issues and the cams will work.

I purchased a set and was meticulous, as always, in the install. I had the valve clearance excact and the piston to valve clearance was good. It would not even turn over with the e-start. I gave it a kick, which was harder than normal, and it fired right up. I checked all clearances and timing again, still would not turn over using the e-start.

I then looked at the decompressor on the Hot Cam and it was only opening the exhaust valve about .005", which is not enough. I put the stock cam back in and it fired on the first push.

It is obvious that there is a major design issue with the WR exhaust cam that Hot Cams will not admit. I really hope that they step up to the plate and fix this problem.

Guess Ill have to get some custome grinds made!!

• MountainMax

Posted June 16, 2007 - 06:00 PM

if it did work fine, I would definately buy a set of cams

• Mutu

Posted June 17, 2007 - 09:43 PM

I have the exact same issue - hotcams and high comp piston - and yes, it doesn't start with e-start.

I however contacted hotcams and they are sending me out a new pin to grind down to how ever long I need. :thumbsup:

I am happy with their response and they sell a great product. :thumbsup:

• Mutu

Posted June 17, 2007 - 09:47 PM

if it did work fine, I would definately buy a set of cams

I am under the impression they would work on stock compression.

• xr250ryder

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:02 PM

So I shouldnt get one for my wr450? Its looking like if I do, the electric start wont work which is the 2nd reason why I bought the bike in the first place.

• davidl9999

Posted June 17, 2007 - 10:12 PM

So I shouldnt get one for my wr450? Its looking like if I do, the electric start wont work which is the 2nd reason why I bought the bike in the first place.

It sounds like you should order the cams and then call them and get an extra part to modify on the decompressor cam. Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

• jnybbad1l40

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I wouldn't do it on a WR if you want the button. I also love their product, on a kick start, and they seem to have good service. I think that they just havn't admitted there is a design issue with the WR exhaust. If they are willing to send a pin for the customer to grind then this should be a clue. I wonder if you put their YZ exhaust cam in it would work. It is my understanding that it is longer.

• xr250ryder

Posted June 18, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Well, I was going to take the YZ cam and put it in the WR, then I noticed that the Hotcams where the same price. So I figured more performace same price. I wont be doing it immediately though so I will wait for more testimonials. Thanks Guys!

• Mutu

Posted June 18, 2007 - 05:07 PM

I think I must clear a few things up first for all of you.

The issue we have with "HIGH COMP PISTONS" and hotcams is that there seems to be too much compression to turn over the engine quick enough with e-start. My bike still turns over, but not quick enough. Rather very slowly.....

The decompression pin on the YFZ/WR hotcam exhaust cam is exactly the same length as the OEM exhaust cam. This means it "should" turn over the engine on stock compression. I have a friend with hotcams in his '05 WR450F and his e-start works fine. :busted:

I have a theory that those of us with "HIGH COMP PISTONS" should get the hotcams YZ exhaust cam as that cam should have the extra decomp pin length needed for us.

The guy from hotcams said that "Your desired lift height is around 1.1mm to
1.2mm. The lift measurement is how much the decompression pin sticks above the base circle of the cam lobe".

The nice guy at hotcams sent me a new pin to grind down, I just have to wait a few days for it to turn up here "down under!".

In the mean time, I will still keep on kickin. I have had the Hotcams for about 8 months and kickin is not that much of an issue for me. I am only now thinking about getting the e-start working since I am thinking about getting a new bike.

If I didn't have thoughts about selling the bike, for the power gain these cams have made, the bikes e-start can stay disabled for all I care.....

Hope this helps. :cheers:

P.S. jnybbad1l40, Have you actually tried contacting Hotcams mate? :thumbsup:
They seemed very helpful to me. :thumbsup:

• MountainMax

Posted June 18, 2007 - 06:01 PM

I have the yz exhaust cam on mine, and the pin is a little shorter and it's alot harder to start with the button now. I had to do some jetting to get it spot on, and have to use the lean lever every time to restart, when it's cold it's still a bit tricky to start, roll throttle twice and pull on choke and it usually goes first click.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jnybbad1l40

Posted June 18, 2007 - 09:12 PM

I think I must clear a few things up first for all of you.

The issue we have with "HIGH COMP PISTONS" and hotcams is that there seems to be too much compression to turn over the engine quick enough with e-start. My bike still turns over, but not quick enough. Rather very slowly.....

The decompression pin on the YFZ/WR hotcam exhaust cam is exactly the same length as the OEM exhaust cam. This means it "should" turn over the engine on stock compression. I have a friend with hotcams in his '05 WR450F and his e-start works fine. :busted:

I have a theory that those of us with "HIGH COMP PISTONS" should get the hotcams YZ exhaust cam as that cam should have the extra decomp pin length needed for us.

The guy from hotcams said that "Your desired lift height is around 1.1mm to
1.2mm. The lift measurement is how much the decompression pin sticks above the base circle of the cam lobe".

The nice guy at hotcams sent me a new pin to grind down, I just have to wait a few days for it to turn up here "down under!".

In the mean time, I will still keep on kickin. I have had the Hotcams for about 8 months and kickin is not that much of an issue for me. I am only now thinking about getting the e-start working since I am thinking about getting a new bike.

If I didn't have thoughts about selling the bike, for the power gain these cams have made, the bikes e-start can stay disabled for all I care.....

Hope this helps. :cheers:

P.S. jnybbad1l40, Have you actually tried contacting Hotcams mate? :thumbsup:
They seemed very helpful to me. :thumbsup:

The problem is that my HOT CAM exhaust pin was approximately 2mm shorter than my stock pin. I confirmed the part # and it was their WR cam. I think they know what needs to be done but there is a gap in their quality inspection prior to putting them on the shelf. Maybe they mis labled the WR cams and their YZ cams???? Who knows, all I know is I have a stock motor and the Hot Cams kept it from turning over..

I did contact them and they are very helpful but their camn still dosnt work. Im sure in time they could probably make me one that works but I didn't pat $400 to help them design a part.

• Mutu

Posted June 19, 2007 - 12:32 AM

I do feel your anger Jonny, I would just ask them nicely for a cam swap, or what I did, another pin. :thumbsup:

• SurvivorMan

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:03 AM

I am glad i read these posts, i was just about to order the Hot Cams for my 07 wr 450-both cams. i do like my estart, so i will wait till sorted out. has anyone tryed a different blackbox too? i wonder if anyone sells a ignition with diferent curves. i like the stock mellow power for when it is slick out, but for good conditions or big climbs, more would be nice.

• thumbthrottler

Posted June 21, 2007 - 08:20 AM

Instead of pulling the grey wire completely, I extended it and :thumbsup: put in a little handlebar mounted switch, which connects/disconnects when I want. You can have the WR timing on tight trails, but YZ on the wide open. Only catch is you have to kill the bike to make the change from one mode to another.

• Mutu

Posted June 21, 2007 - 03:17 PM

I am glad i read these posts, i was just about to order the Hot Cams for my 07 wr 450-both cams. i do like my estart, so i will wait till sorted out.

Should fire up straight away. Everyone I know with hotcams their e-start works fine. This seems to be an isolated case, mine only doesn't work since I bumped up the compression. Im glad I went hotcams, the power gain over stock is awesome. For me e-start can wait....

has anyone tryed a different blackbox too? I wonder if anyone sells a ignition with diferent curves. i like the stock mellow power for when it is slick out, but for good conditions or big climbs, more would be nice.

You just described a Vortex ignition!!! They are absolutely awesome!
I got mine to get the most out of the cam and pipe swap on my bike.
http://www.vortex-performance.com.au/
They cost a bit, but they do work and will give you what you are after. :thumbsup:

• SurvivorMan

Posted June 22, 2007 - 07:23 AM

So the hot cams will not interfere with the estart? just the hi comp piston does? that makes sense. i think i am in for a set of hot cams and the vortex ignition.

• Mutu

Posted June 23, 2007 - 04:41 AM

you will be a very happy man with the new found power!

• Hot Rods

Posted June 25, 2007 - 06:56 AM

The problem is that my HOT CAM exhaust pin was approximately 2mm shorter than my stock pin. I confirmed the part # and it was their WR cam. I think they know what needs to be done but there is a gap in their quality inspection prior to putting them on the shelf. Maybe they mis labled the WR cams and their YZ cams???? Who knows, all I know is I have a stock motor and the Hot Cams kept it from turning over..

I did contact them and they are very helpful but their camn still dosnt work. Im sure in time they could probably make me one that works but I didn't pat $400 to help them design a part.

2mm shorter??? The pin lift on the e-starts is around 1mm; 1.7mm on the kickers. You must have one with a real issue. We would be glad to have a look at it and correct it, as needed.

• SID013

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:52 PM

I'm with Mutu on the Vortex, We both have them & have ridden each others bikes. The Vortex is awesome for power & when you need traction in sandy stuff just hit the switch!:thumbsup:

• jnybbad1l40

Posted June 25, 2007 - 11:06 PM

2mm shorter??? The pin lift on the e-starts is around 1mm; 1.7mm on the kickers. You must have one with a real issue. We would be glad to have a look at it and correct it, as needed.

The stock pin is 2.1 mm, I just measures it. The pin on the Hot Cam was about .5 mm or less. It barely moved the bucket. It also was sloppy on the cam. I know that there may be some design differences due to lift and duration but all I am saying is that other than those cams my bike has stock internals and it will not turn over. As I am not the only one with this problem I think that you may have an issue that should be checked. Something is happening this is not an isolated incident!!

I dont want to bash Hot Cams because on my other 450 (Kick Start) I love them, my bike rips . I just cannot start my bike, with the button, with your cam.

Just to be sure I had my shop re-order another exhaust cam and I looked at the pin and it was the same as the first. Maybe a bad batch??? Hope it gets worked out because Ill most likely buy them.

I know the customer service is good and I was offered to send it in to be fixed but that costs me more money and more time. You can send me some cams and if they work Ill pay you for them!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.