Dr. D head pipe performance ??

4 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:52 AM

I'm using a Dr. D slip on, on a 04' yz450f. I really enjoy this pipe, since it broadens the powerband. I'm currently running the stock head pipe, and I was wondering if getting a Dr. D head pipe will improve performance even more, or is it insignificant, and not worth puting on??

thanks

• twenty34

Posted June 16, 2007 - 09:46 AM

I'm using a Dr. D slip on, on a 04' yz450f. I really enjoy this pipe, since it broadens the powerband. I'm currently running the stock head pipe, and I was wondering if getting a Dr. D head pipe will improve performance even more, or is it insignificant, and not worth puting on??

thanks

Yes, this is where the power is generated - in the header. The Dr.D system is designed for this, so you WILL feel the difference. Highly recomended by most here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted June 17, 2007 - 04:22 PM

Thanks, I may just get one.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 17, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Like Rickk said the header is where the most power is generated at. When I bought my DRD exaust I bought the full system for my 06 450f and I just know that the full system is just out of sight. Has plenty power down low and pulls strong on top.......all the way to the rev limiter. You will be satisfied and thrilled when you put the header on and I doubt you will be disipointed.

• grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2007 - 06:12 PM

The Dr.D header (either of them) is a stepped design, and is an important component of the full system. It would be somewhat over-generalizing to say that the header is where most of the power improvement comes from in every exhaust system, but is is certainly a big part of the whole picture. But, depending on the design of the mid pipe/silencer, and how much it differs from the original, it really can sometimes be the most important element.

What you would need to know is whether the slip-on and the pipe silencer from the complete system are the same or not. If they are, then yes, you should see an improvement over what you have. Even if they aren't, you should see a subtle change in the power with the stepped header, probably a boost in low end.

Something to remember is that the stock Yamaha systems are so good that it isn't as easy to improve on them as with some other bikes. The main benefit is mostly in widening or relocating the power curve, rather than in any huge increases at peak or elsewhere. A 2 hp peak gain over stock is about as big a gain as I've seen in any credible test of exhaust pipes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.