Photo's of subframe munching my chain!

71 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted May 29, 2008 - 12:25 PM

You can tell by the back sprocket wear if the axle is aligned right.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 30, 2008 - 07:27 AM

I'll take pics....guys i wasnt kidding.

Just do it.

Buy some angle Iron at an Ace hardware or tru value or wherever. I believe its 1/4 inch. cheap.

then get some JB WELD. Cut the iron to about 4 inches long, appropriately, glue it on the frame and be done with it. use zip ties to press it while the epoxy drys.

mine has been on there several years and its WARDING off the chain just fine.

It almost looks FACTORY.:thumbsup:

• dazzabb

Posted May 30, 2008 - 07:35 AM

This worries me.
I know from experience with roadrace bikes that you never trust the swingarm/axle block marks.
The chain has been rubbing slightly on my subframe and the bike has done less than 500km.

My first thought is that I will try to determine that my two sprockets are actually actually aligned perfectly.

I'll try to clamp a straight edge to the rear sprocket (with chain removed) that extends as far up to the countershaft sprocket as possible.

Then I guess it will be a case of determining how much "allowance" I give a particular axle block in order to make the chain run true.

Your thoughts? .... Too pedantic for a dirt bike?

Greg

I basically did what you suggested for alignment but it made no difference, its bizarre that after all these years WR's still have this problem.

Correct Alignment, chain tension and new chain / sprockets evertything I could try I did and it made bugger all difference.

Do any other 450's have this drama?

• MaxPower

Posted May 30, 2008 - 03:14 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I bought one of these.You guys should too.I cant believe everyone with a WR doesnt have these on their bikes
http://www.thumperta...ct=38451&cat=32[/COLOR]

• WIRE-DOC

Posted May 30, 2008 - 03:51 PM

08 wr450 same problem

• wartsnuff

Posted June 02, 2008 - 06:09 AM

i double checked my 08

there is not even a scratch to indicate that these bikes have a problem.

i have 1400 km's on her now .... no a mark ????

not sure why ? but i am not complaining

cheers
Warts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted June 02, 2008 - 12:15 PM

You can get this with incorrect chain alignment. Remember that on the left side chain block is <3 marks due to the bolt lip. So if to adjust 3 marks on left and 3 marks on right you're way off.

This and 2.5 fingers for chain tension and you should not rub.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 02, 2008 - 10:27 PM

Mine rubbed for the first two rides until I realized that it was adjusted wrong AT THE DEALER upon PDI. The scuffs are light and not deep... I'm not really worried about it. With correct alignment and running it a hair tight it doesn't rub anymore.

• msgbean

Posted June 03, 2008 - 12:50 PM

You can get this with incorrect chain alignment. Remember that on the left side chain block is <3 marks due to the bolt lip. So if to adjust 3 marks on left and 3 marks on right you're way off.

This and 2.5 fingers for chain tension and you should not rub.

This is true if you count the marks from the front to the back but if you do you are doing it wrong. You are suppose to count the marks from the back to the front. If you count from the back to the front the marks are exactly the same until you get to the end. And your chain should be replaced long before it gets to the end. I've got 2500 miles on my 07 and it has never rubbed the frame.

• brad the best

Posted June 03, 2008 - 10:36 PM

check tire allignment . i put a piece of rad hose over top of my sub frame usually lasts a year on there .

6" of rad hose = about a dollar

new subframe = more then a rad hose .

• crooks420

Posted June 15, 2008 - 12:39 PM

There's no "cool" factor with radiator hose.

Jesse

• WR450FGreg

Posted June 15, 2008 - 11:41 PM

I had a look at mine, no scuffing.

Man, that chain would have to flex a long way sideways to get anywhere near that subframe!
I anticipate replacing my chain long before it is able to flex sideways that far.

Call me stupid, but am I missing something?

I am beginning to suspect (too) that maybe some of those guys with problems in this regard have chain tension issues.

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.