Photo's of subframe munching my chain!

71 replies to this topic
  • dazzabb

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Guy's,

A couple of photo's of the damage the chain is doing to my subframe!

My old chain was a non-O-ring and that slapped around quite a bit.

But what was more annoying to me was that even when I fit a brand new DID O-ring chain, new super-sprockets also brand new with the correct tension as per Yam manual, it make no difference! There is still an awful lot of side to side motion.

Posted Image

http://i148.photobuc...bb/DSCN0079.jpg

• dazzabb

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Another Photo

Posted Image

• jaggley

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:18 PM

i have an 04 and without reading this post, i would never have noticed the tiny mark about 2" up on the subframe. There is no way I will ever have to replace my subframe for this issue. Keep your chain at proper tension and forget about it.

I do have a friend who has replaced a subframe becaus ethe works connection frame gruards rubbed the subframe and ate through. Keep those guards tight and watch for damage. You guys with 07s will notice wear just from your boots rubbing on the frame. AL is a suck a$$ material for a frame. The bike is no lighter and the frame will eventually fail. Also you can't get to the carb all that easy. Isn't progress wonderful.

• dazzabb

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:21 PM

i have an 04 and without reading this post, i would never have noticed the tiny mark about 2" up on the subframe. There is no way I will ever have to replace my subframe for this issue. Keep your chain at proper tension and forget about it.

I do have a friend who has replaced a subframe becaus ethe works connection frame gruards rubbed the subframe and ate through. Keep those guards tight and watch for damage. You guys with 07s will notice wear just from your boots rubbing on the frame. AL is a suck a$$ material for a frame. The bike is no lighter and the frame will eventually fail. Also you can't get to the carb all that easy. Isn't progress wonderful.

I disagree with you completely.

My chain has been at the correct tension at all times as specified by the Yam manual at 40-50mm above the chain slider. It made no difference.

• xr250ryder

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:32 PM

I have also had this problem, I had my chain spot on and what do you know... it started to eat through the rubber tubing I put on there. Yamaha Claims it isn't a problem...

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:36 PM

You guys with 07s will notice wear just from your boots rubbing on the frame. AL is a suck a$$ material for a frame. The bike is no lighter and the frame will eventually fail.

Come on man! What the hell kind of comment is that? :busted:

Aluminum alloy is an astonishingly good metal from which to craft all kinds of frames...including frames for high-end sports cars, airplanes, sport bikes...and thousands of other pieces of machinery.

It's not pure aluminum...it's an alloy.:thumbsup:

New aluminum alloy frames are designed so they are lighter and stonger than their non-aluminum alloy predecessors.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but for the love of technology man...get a clue!:thumbsup:

-Jay

• antigrav

Posted June 16, 2007 - 07:26 PM

I think Yamaha intends you guys to be on the gas more to keep the chain tension tight:p

NO more rolling all the whoops then gassing it and letting off, then gassing it then letting off, then gassing it then letting off, then gassing it, then letting off. they want you to keep it pinned or buy an XR:thumbsup:

• tony1970

Posted June 16, 2007 - 10:13 PM

I would check your chain alingment. That looks like some pretty excessive wear indicating more than the chain just nicking the subframe. I have some pretty hard miles on my WR and the wear in not even near that. Also I would take that subframe down to a good welding shop that can weld alluminum, that thing is going to snap soon.

• dl19

Posted June 16, 2007 - 11:04 PM

dzaab have not forgot about you just ending my second 16+ hr day. One more then I will get the guard I built photos to you. I run devol frame guards also. Easy fix in about 10 minutes.

• WRaid

Posted June 17, 2007 - 01:11 AM

I have an 06 WR and have the same problem. My cousin has the same bike with the same problem. I cut a short lenth of reticulation tube (polypipe) slit down one side and cable tied it in place where the chain touches. Since then ok. I to kept the chain tension correct and check the rear wheel alignment. The bike shop indicated it is a common fault, also with YZs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gregk

Posted June 17, 2007 - 03:06 AM

Yes I have a 2nd hand 2004 since 1 month, and I have noticed almost exactly the same wear on subframe. Fixed it by gluing aluminum profile with epoxy, and I have checked the profile for new wear: none so far, I guess as a beginner I am not hitting the gas hard enough :thumbsup:
BTW, check also the wear of your swingarm under the plastic chain slider: mine was badly eaten too (previous owner did a lot of riding in the sand...). Fixed it with help of epoxy/aluminum paste and glued the slider with silicone....For now I do not see any drawback to this mod, but if my slider wear too fast I plan to glue a thin inox sheet under it and let it slide on it, as advised in the forum...

Also the fork tubes had wear from the plastic headlight plate rubbing on it! Sand again I think, aluminum and sand do not go well together and yamaha design is not helping things...

So 3 wear points to check when buying a used WR, I spotted only the fork wear when buying it...

Except for that, nice bike! :thumbsup:

• dl19

Posted June 17, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Maybe Dazaaab will post what I sent him to easily fix it.

• dl19

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image
Test if photo will work.

• dl19

Posted June 18, 2007 - 07:09 PM

Here is what I put on mine. I use the tape and extra zip ties to protect the frame from the frame guard. I made this out of 1/16 SS. Having a couple made out of 1/8 SS now and should be done this week. Wear is after 1000 miles and it did not wear through just displaced the SS. Zip Ties hold it and it does not move at all. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image[IMG]http://http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/Picture057.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/Shield2.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this helps. I just used a 4" grinder to cut the SS and notch the corners for the zip ties.

• dazzabb

Posted June 18, 2007 - 09:27 PM

dl 19, cheers mate, I'll give it a shot.

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 18, 2007 - 10:00 PM

I was told that this chain guide set up would eliminate that problem...I hope so.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• dazzabb

Posted June 19, 2007 - 12:29 AM

I'll check that product out, cheers.

That's the cleanest WR I've ever seen!

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 19, 2007 - 07:59 AM

I'll check that product out, cheers.

That's the cleanest WR I've ever seen!

Thanks,...the site is www.tmdesignworks.com/
Marty.

• WGP

Posted June 19, 2007 - 10:21 AM

It took me a year to realize that the axel blocks are different on each side of the bike. So, if you align both at the 3rd mark for example, you are not even close to straight....which leads to chain slap and rubbing the sub-frame...

• xr250ryder

Posted June 19, 2007 - 10:58 AM

I read about those TM Designworks eliminating the wear on the subframe, but I'm not ready to go out and spend 160 dollars on one until I know that It works. I'm awaiting your testimonial mcflzwr450f. Also I use a ruler and mark my chain on the left side, then draw a mark on the ruler then when I adjust the block on the right side I adjust via the ruler. I'm pretty sure that makes the blocks on the right and left side spot on.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.