07 air filter basket hole

7 replies to this topic
  • jaggley

Posted June 15, 2007 - 05:45 PM

I could do a search, but I am simply trying to stir the pot. I have an 04 wr450 and love it. Just installed the yz exhaust cam, feels like a new bike. Anyway, he has the 07 and we rode in southern TN two weeks ago. It was like a dust bowl. It was the most dusty riding i have ever done. We rode three days and on the third day he was cleaning his filter for like the sixth time and said "hey, there is a hole in the center of the basket. I guess the yz has a bolt that goes through there, but the wr uses a spring type bar. His bike sucked dust for three day cause he was never up front and his titanium valves are probably roughed up.

My question is, are all you 07 owners finding this error and what are you doing about it? Are the dealers taking care of you? Have you had any serious failures.

• jams229

Posted June 15, 2007 - 05:59 PM

This topic has been beat to death.
Most of us '07 WR owners know about it and have had it fixed with a replacement part from the dealer. (Some have just fixed the hole themselves.) Some did not know about it until after they had ridden their bikes, and they have approached their respective dealers about it.

• Paradiddle

Posted June 16, 2007 - 10:37 AM

The faulty air-filter cage is a recall item, and should have been caught by your friends dealer, especially this late in the model year.:thumbsup:

Recall items like this should be stickied to the top of the wr forum, like they are at the SBN Yamaha forum.

Good luck,

Lynn

• clark4131

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:51 PM

It was stickied for quite a while. Now it's a permanent part of the FAQ which is stickied as well. I do what I can to help people, but if you're new to the board and not reading the stickies, what more can I say? I've stopped ranting and raving about people being lazy and just posting questions about problems that have solutions already listed in the stickies, i.e. '07 filter holes, chains eating subframes, hard starting, throttle stops, gray wires, ad nauseum. Now I just sit back, shake my head and giggle and focus on making sure the board runs smoothly according to rules without getting my blood pressure elevated. When new and important things crop up, I will still post/sticky them. I will also continue to help out with tough questions and/or problems like I always have, but I won't spoon-feed anymore. Sorry...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jaggley

Posted June 23, 2007 - 05:23 AM

"My question is, are all you 07 owners finding this error and what are you doing about it? Are the dealers taking care of you? Have you had any serious failures."

I was not looking into the problem, but what are the dealers doing? Are they making it right for the guys who rode their bikes? It should not be an expectation that anyone riding a bike to read a forum like this. If there was a recall, how could a dealer let that bike out in April? Has anyone gotten there dealer to actually repair engine damage?

• PROWLER 58

Posted June 23, 2007 - 09:02 AM

It was stickied for quite a while. Now it's a permanent part of the FAQ which is stickied as well. I do what I can to help people, but if you're new to the board and not reading the stickies, what more can I say? I've stopped ranting and raving about people being lazy and just posting questions about problems that have solutions already listed in the stickies, i.e. '07 filter holes, chains eating subframes, hard starting, throttle stops, gray wires, ad nauseum. Now I just sit back, shake my head and giggle and focus on making sure the board runs smoothly according to rules without getting my blood pressure elevated. When new and important things crop up, I will still post/sticky them. I will also continue to help out with tough questions and/or problems like I always have, but I won't spoon-feed anymore. Sorry...SC

This forum has done nothing but help me in many ways.Im glad Ifound it. thanks Clark. Bob

• fdubaaron

Posted June 23, 2007 - 12:05 PM

I bought my 2007 WR450 just about a month ago and the dealership was about to let me take it home with the hole wide open. I called the morning I was going to pick it up and asked the salesperson who sold it to me if he could make sure the service dept. replaces that part with the new one. When I got to the dealership the salesman said he didn't know what I was talking about and when he asked the mechanics they told him they were out of the replacement part... &%$#@!, you'd think they'd have plenty on hand, they had nine '07 WR450s in the showroom. I asked him what they were going to do about it and after a short pause he said he didn't know what they could do. I suggested plugging the back side with a bolt and so he had the mechanics do that... Is this guy just that retarded or is this common among the Yamaha salespeople? When I asked him how many other bikes went out the door without that fix he said this was the first he'd heard of the recall because he never reads the service bulletins.

Needless to say, I took my bike and bought all the accessories I wanted from another dealer. BTW, if you're in the south King County area of Washington steer clear of South Seattle Sports Plaza in Federal Way... they really disappointed me.

• jaggley

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:54 AM

why are the dealers so bad? Has anyone had real engine damage from the problem? Has any dealer stepped up and fixed said damage?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.