Chain lube on rear shock piston (no no)

8 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 15, 2007 - 04:26 PM

I forgot to let everyone know that when I was at Litz's racing shop yesterday:prof: he pointed out when he had my rear shock off redoing it he showed me the white grease I was useing to lube the chain, he showed me where I got it on the piston on the rear shock. He told me to watch getting any chain lube on the shock piston that it would get up in the shock a flip some kind of valve over and mess it up:shocked: . He said if it was a KTM it would have already been messed up:smirk: . Just watch the lube guy's:thumbsup:

• CRF250dude26

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:48 PM

I forgot to let everyone know that when I was at Litz's racing shop yesterday:prof: he pointed out when he had my rear shock off redoing it he showed me the white grease I was useing to lube the chain, he showed me where I got it on the piston on the rear shock. He told me to watch getting any chain lube on the shock piston that it would get up in the shock a flip some kind of valve over and mess it up:shocked: . He said if it was a KTM it would have already been messed up:smirk: . Just watch the lube guy's:thumbsup:

What about WD-40?

• warrior86

Posted June 16, 2007 - 05:53 PM

definately a good tip. i do think i get any in there but its definately something i will conciously watch out for:thumbsup:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 16, 2007 - 06:38 PM

What about WD-40?

He didnt say anything about WD-40 but I just wouldnt spray anything directly on the rear shock piston itself. If your shock spring gets to makeing squeking sounds I dont think a shot of wd-40 would hurt.........just keep a eye when spraying on the spring and try to avoid contact with the piston.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2007 - 07:45 PM

I'll just boldly guess that you mean the rod, since the piston is inside the shock.

And just how is it that chain lube is supposed to be able to get past the seal and up into the shock, pray tell?

• cablemonkey334

Posted June 16, 2007 - 08:27 PM

must be some mean chain lube to get past the seal an make it into the oil to the shock piston .....hmmmmm.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 17, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I'll just boldly guess that you mean the rod, since the piston is inside the shock.

And just how is it that chain lube is supposed to be able to get past the seal and up into the shock, pray tell?

Yea! I ment the shiny rod that is visible,that is what you want to avoid getting lube on.....BTW Steve Litz must know what he is talking about cause he is the head suspension expert or suspension mechanic for kawasaki. He is doing there super motard bikes this year for the first time and he said they are doing real well with the motard bikes. He use to work for the honda racing team but now he has been in the suspension bussiness for 27 years and now he is team kawasaki's top suspension man so I believe he knows what he is talking about. I might have said something that wouldnt right but I did know for a fact he said not to get lube on the rear shock rod that it would get up in the shock and turn or filp some valve over and mess the shock up.... thats all I know and just wanted to share the valuable info.

• grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2007 - 05:56 PM

If we are to take the valuable information exactly as you presented it, then I don't really care if he invented the de Carbon shock himself. Grease on a shock rod has no chance of flipping over a valve inside the shock.

So, either he sent you out looking for a skyhook, or you got what he was saying so wrong that it isn't recognizable any longer. Sorry. Maybe you should go back and get him to tell you again what the potential problem with this really is.

BTW, I am NOT suggesting that it would be a good idea to grease the shock rod. Whatever else this would do, it would gather dirt, and the dirt would make things tough for the seal.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 17, 2007 - 06:15 PM

He just noticed I had some white lithium grease on the lower part of the shock spring. Which I did spray it there due to a squeaking sound coming from that area and someone here told me to put a little on the spring and it would take care of the squeak and it did. When I was at Litzs racing shop last thursday having my suspension set up for my weight he just noticed the grease down there on the shock sring and told me to watch getting grease on that shaft that he has seen rear shocks mess up due to people getting white grease lube on it from greaseing their chain. He stated that the grease would get up in the shock and flip or turn some shim or valve up and over due to the shock moveing up or down. I figured since he has been in the business for 27 years and worked for Honda racing team and now Team Kawaski and has a rider in this weekends X Games in colorado where he is right now I believe I will heed his warning. BTW I will ask him again when I go to my next race comeing up July 7and8 and futher inform you.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.