Help - miss at 80% throttle.

9 replies to this topic
  • Beejay

Posted June 15, 2007 - 02:54 PM

My mates 05 YZ450 has this miss at high speed only when the throttle is opened 80% & more. We have tried taking the carb off stripping & cleaning everything & replacing it, checked all the breathers, fuel lines, cap etc changed the plug as well. Still no success in solving it.
Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the coil?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 15, 2007 - 03:57 PM

You might want to try changing main jet cause this jet is responsible for throttle openings from closed to WOT.

• greentyler

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:14 PM

this might be a stupid answer...

are you sure you're not hitting the rev limiter?

edit.
whoops... didn't see how many posts you had... guessing its not something stupid then.

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:34 PM

You might want to try changing main jet cause this jet is responsible for throttle openings from closed to WOT.

¿What? Your homework for today is to read from 7-1 through 7-10 in your service manual and be prepared to explain the chart on 7-3.

My first question is (even though you said you cleaned everything), what does the air filter look like?

If it's carb related, it may be the main jet, IF it or the weather has changed a lot lately, or if it's clogged, or it may be the needle position.

If the miss is regular, and accompanied by black smoke, it could be rich (jets, float level, or air filter). If it's irregular, it could be lean, or it could be an ignition problem, even as simple as a bad spark plug, or a cracked or leaking coil.

If it only does it in one gear, it isn't missing, it's jumping out and back into gear, and it needs trans work.

• flintlock28

Posted June 16, 2007 - 03:58 AM

It could be a slightly too small main jet.

I ordered a Jetting kit from J/D jetting. The recommended jet was the 170, at the temperature/altitude I'm at. A local Mechanic told me to install the 168 instead. When I ran the bike along an open area, she would start to stumble at higher RPM/big throttle openings. I installed the 170, and all was back to normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 16, 2007 - 06:46 PM

normal???? meaning......the bike is fine now or it still has a miss at 80% throttle?

• Beejay

Posted June 17, 2007 - 02:16 PM

We run at sea level, nothing has changed, the bike was running perfectly a couple weeks back & the plug was changed.
I think next step is to chnge the coil, if that doesn't do the trick may be renew the main jet.
What about a faulty ht lead to the plug?

• grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2007 - 03:14 PM

What about a faulty ht lead to the plug?

There isn't one. The coil is built into the plug boot.

• Beejay

Posted June 17, 2007 - 04:04 PM

:thumbsup: of course, thanks:thumbsup:

• flintlock28

Posted June 17, 2007 - 04:19 PM

normal???? meaning......the bike is fine now or it still has a miss at 80% throttle?

The bike ran perfect after the 170 was installed..

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.