91 or 104 octane in my WR450??

7 replies to this topic
  • mcflzwr450f

Posted June 15, 2007 - 01:53 PM

I have a 07 WR450 (with all mods done) and was wondering if 104 octane would be better or should I stick to pump gas @ 91 octane? Thanks.

• clark4131

Posted June 15, 2007 - 01:59 PM

It's up to you. Higher octane is really only needed if you have pinging or you increase your engine compression. If all is well, stick with pump gas...SC

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 15, 2007 - 02:14 PM

I just thought the engine would run better with the WR already having 12.3:1compression.

• Kamik

Posted June 15, 2007 - 04:38 PM

doubtful, like clark said, if it's not pinging, and it's still a stock motor, you're not really going to benefit by going to a higher octane. Hell, i once ran my bike on Marked gas once(89 octane) when i ran out of gas in the bush and had to borrow some from my friend on his quad, and my bike still ran fine. Not something I'd do all the time, but still good to know it'll work when needed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ffgman

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:22 PM

If you run 104 octane gas you will lose power because these bikes were designed to run on pump gas. If you want to get more power run u4. It has an octane level of around 94 but it is oxygenated whick will give you a slight power increase.

• Bamster

Posted June 16, 2007 - 04:02 AM

Around here fuels with higher octane are blended.
My WR ran well on 91 and 92 with no pinging.

• MxnDoc

Posted June 16, 2007 - 12:49 PM

I have a 07 WR450 (with all mods done) and was wondering if 104 octane would be better or should I stick to pump gas @ 91 octane? Thanks.

Premium pump gas runs just fine(91 octane) however, I do occasionally use VP 100 (unleaded) octane and notice a much quicker throttle response but not much else. It's your money spend it how you like. FYI don't use any leaded fuels as these are bad for the titanium valves on these bikes.
Doc

• mcflzwr450f

Posted June 17, 2007 - 08:33 AM

I went ridding yesterday with 104 unleaded, bike was very responsive and power seemed about the same. Thanks for all the feedback.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.