06 WR450F Suspension Installation...

13 replies to this topic
  • SV650WR450F

Posted June 14, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Here's my version of how to install front forks and rear shock... I'm posting this to give others an idea of what all is involved with upgrading your suspension. Feel free to point out things I missed or did wrong...

http://2006wr450f.bl...stallation.html

• clark4131

Posted June 14, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Nice pics, but...did you grease your swingarm and shock linkage when you had it apart? If not, that was the perfect time to do it :thumbsup:...SC

• dugabrams

Posted June 15, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Nice post, but You left out at least 7 or 8 of the necessary steps! (all of them beer related of course)

• SV650WR450F

Posted June 15, 2007 - 08:29 AM

Nice pics, but...did you grease your swingarm and shock linkage when you had it apart? If not, that was the perfect time to do it :busted:...SC

Actually, I don't think I did grease the lower pin on the rear shock. I need to retorque that bolt anyway, shouldn't be too much trouble to pull it out again. Thanks :thumbsup:

Nice post, but You left out at least 7 or 8 of the necessary steps! (all of them beer related of course)

Yes, I agree, there wasn't a whole lot of time between taking pics and putting part back together, next time I will have 6 or 7 extra "steps" at the beggining :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted June 15, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Actually, I don't think I did grease the lower pin on the rear shock. I need to retorque that bolt anyway, shouldn't be too much trouble to pull it out again. Thanks :thumbsup:

It's a little more involved than that. You really need to take the linkage and swingarm apart and re-grease all the bearings. The same should be done for the steering stem and bearings...SC

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 15, 2007 - 11:30 AM

It's a little more involved than that. You really need to take the linkage and swingarm apart and re-grease all the bearings. The same should be done for the steering stem and bearings...SC

Clark you love greasing your bearings lol seems like your always the one reminding everyone. i just did mine for the first time last weekend. wasnt too bad. boy could i tell a differance too! how you liken that dr. d? did you notice they changed the looks of it for 06. some one i know is getting one for fathersday. as soon as its bolted up i well get pics and post!

• TWILES

Posted June 15, 2007 - 12:08 PM

What did all that cost minus shipping?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SV650WR450F

Posted June 15, 2007 - 01:01 PM

What did all that cost minus shipping?

$698 - @$40~$50 shipping = $648~$658

They said my suspension looked good before they revalved and that saved me some money. So, I guess if your suspension is shot, it'll cost more.

• SV650WR450F

Posted June 15, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Oh, THOSE bearings, no, didn't do that. I had time to do it though, but I didn't know I should've... ohhh well :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted June 15, 2007 - 01:51 PM

Clark you love greasing your bearings lol seems like your always the one reminding everyone. i just did mine for the first time last weekend. wasnt too bad. boy could i tell a differance too! how you liken that dr. d? did you notice they changed the looks of it for 06. some one i know is getting one for fathersday. as soon as its bolted up i well get pics and post!

Nope, I actually hated doing it, but I've seen what happens when you don't. Then it becomes a real pain in the arse. I figure if you're gonna spend the Benjamins on a professionally tuned suspension, then why not spend an extra $5 on grease? If things can't move properly, then your suspension won't work and you've just stepped over dollars to pick up dimes...I saw the new Dr.D's but the pics are of the carbon fiber and Ti cans. Did they redo the full stainless can as well?...SC

• SV650WR450F

Posted June 15, 2007 - 02:46 PM

Nope, I actually hated doing it, but I've seen what happens when you don't...

What happens when you don't? How many miles were on the bike that you saw? Would a bike with 100 miles on it need it's steering stem and swingarm bearings regreased?

• clark4131

Posted June 15, 2007 - 03:29 PM

A brand new bike needs it. Mine had about 100 miles on it when I did it and it's like Yamaha just waves the grease gun at the steering stem bearings. The shock and swingarm have needle bearings either free floating in grease or encased in a supposed "permanently lubricated" nylon like substance. Either way, the factory lubricant is insufficient. The perma-lube stuff doesn't work as advertised and should be removed from the needle bearings and replaced with a generous amount of waterproof grease. I've seen it get overworked and actually look like it's burned. Do a search for "string cheese" as I think there's a write up someone did about it. There also was an article in either Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider recently about necessary bearing lubrication on new bikes. It's not right that they come this way out of the box, but it's reality. Sorry for the bad news...SC

• SV650WR450F

Posted June 15, 2007 - 03:58 PM

Well dang, wonder why Yamaha would under grease year after year on every single bike? My only guess would be that:

string cheese = longer "life", less performance
waterproof grease = shorter life, more performance

:thumbsup:

Looks like another project is on the way, http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

I'll log it and let you know what mine looks like... Thanks.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 15, 2007 - 09:32 PM

i thought the stainless steel one would be but i guess its not as i just opened my dads and its just like the one i have

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.