If I could make a YZ street legal, I would definately get one of those over a WR for several reasons.
Well i curently have a Yz 125, but i will be getting my licence by next summer, and intend on making the WR street legal. I will buy one early if i can get a good deal on 1. I am wondering how the WR will compare to my yz. Hows the handling? Will i be able to do some light MX duty? How would the power compare to my Yz, should i get a 450 or a 250?
1. The YZ is a weapon stock form, nothing needs to be done to it other than setting up ergo's for you.
2. The YZ450F is "34.6lbs dry" lighter than the WR450F!
Coming from a 125, the extra "65lbs dry" on the WR450Fwould really suck.
The WR250F is not that much better at all in the weight stakes.
3. I have spent some big $$$ on my '05 WR450F and it still is not a YZ450F. Sure, it now has more power and better suspension than a YZ450F, but that weight difference is the killer.
4. I am sure it would cost you less money in the long run to get the YZ up to scratch than the WR.
5. I'm not sure of your laws over there, but make sure you do plenty of research. If you can't make the YZ street legal, then forget about what I just said! Have you considered a KTM exc??? Awesome bike and noticably lighter.
Now that I have angered the WR crew here, if you do decide to go this way, you will be rewarded with a very reliable, and very capable weapon. It just takes a little bit of effort and money to unleash the beast!
Now, I am a Yamaha man, but it is getting more and more like pick a color. One thing I don't like about the WR is how they are becoming more and more "trail bike" and less and less "enduro bike". The sword is becoming blunt.....