Should i Buy a WR?

28 replies to this topic
  • Vinny2692

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Well i curently have a Yz 125, but i will be getting my licence by next summer, and intend on making the WR street legal. I will buy one early if i can get a good deal on 1. I am wondering how the WR will compare to my yz. Hows the handling? Will i be able to do some light MX duty? How would the power compare to my Yz, should i get a 450 or a 250?

• MaxPower

Posted June 14, 2007 - 05:37 PM

[COLOR="Green"]something tells me you know all the answers to the questions you ask
Tell us
what do you think about buying a WR[/COLOR]

• Vinny2692

Posted June 15, 2007 - 11:25 AM

Well, ive never rode 1 so i really have no idea about how they handle, but im already pretty shure i will buy 1

• davidl9999

Posted June 15, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Get it plated - THEN do the mods. Oh wait - you're not in California :thumbsup:

You will like it. Yamaha warrants the WR for racing and competition. That should tell you something.

A modded WR250F or WR450F runs like a raped ape! The 250's more flickable, the 450 climbs a little easier (imo, without being "on the pipe" as much) and has more bottom-end grunt.

• Beejay

Posted June 15, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Yes - 450

• Vinny2692

Posted June 16, 2007 - 04:22 PM

So you think the 450 would be the better choice? How does the stock suspension handle jumps?

• xrmarty

Posted June 17, 2007 - 01:15 AM

So you think the 450 would be the better choice? How does the stock suspension handle jumps?

If you have to ask about the jumps, then you will need the YZ. WR suspension is set up for trails -- not for clearing tripples.

• eissinger4

Posted June 17, 2007 - 01:21 AM

The 450 isn't much of a jumper....too heavy. It'll do it, but it won't like it. Get a 450, you can always grow into it, that's my opinion. If you get the 250, you'll grow out of the power and wish you had the 450...

• FreeRideSouth

Posted June 17, 2007 - 01:38 AM

My WR450 jumps fine. If you plan to get into racing on a serious level you should get a YZ, but for what you are describing, street use, trail and modest MX/Jumping it will be perfect. The suspension is soft compared to the YZ and the extra weight would be noticable if compared side by side. Liter than most DS bikes and ready to go with a few minor mods.

• eissinger4

Posted June 17, 2007 - 03:30 AM

The 450 may jump fine for you, but he's coming off of a YZ125!!! It'll be like trying to jump a Mack truck compared to that little thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MojaveThumper

Posted June 17, 2007 - 04:14 AM

Will have to agree with the other reviews. The WR really isn't for flying through the air with the greatest of ease. You would have to take your environment into consideration before deciding on a 250 or 450. If you are single trackin' it most of the time you may want to stick to the 250 but, as you say on for some street duty then the 450 is the way to go.

I enjoy mine out here in the open desert and it does really well in the twisties as well. Just a little heavier to flick around.

• FreeRideSouth

Posted June 17, 2007 - 05:30 AM

The 450 may jump fine for you, but he's coming off of a YZ125!!! It'll be like trying to jump a Mack truck compared to that little thing.

Maybe a Mustang vs a Porche would be a better comparison!

• Beejay

Posted June 17, 2007 - 02:46 PM

:thumbsup: :busted: :cheers: :thumbsup: nice comparison there.

• Max D

Posted June 17, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Most definately get the WR250!!! I have been riding on MX tracks for the last two months with my 07 and it handles the jumps just fine! I have not adjusted the suspension yet, it's still set the way I purchased it. I have taken it over small three foot jumps to jumps up to eight feet high full throttle. to my suprise, the suspension handles very well!

My concerns when I was purchasing the WR was do I buy the 450 or the 250. I raced for seven years on a KX250 and had some concerns that the WR250 would not have enough power. WOW, I was wrong. It has plenty of power and I have not even done any mods to it yet. I raced the intermediate class (Before expert) in northern california, very fast class.

I have also been trail riding with the 250 at parks such as Carnegie. No problem climbing mountains However it does lose power near the peaks. You just have to work the clutch a little.

ENJOY!!!

• Max D

Posted June 17, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Most definately get the WR250!!! I have been riding on MX tracks for the last two months with my 07 and it handles the jumps just fine! I have not adjusted the suspension yet, it's still set the way I purchased it. I have taken it over small three foot jumps to jumps up to eight feet high full throttle. to my suprise, the suspension handles very well!

My concerns when I was purchasing the WR was do I buy the 450 or the 250. I raced for seven years on a KX250 and had some concerns that the WR250 would not have enough power. WOW, I was wrong. It has plenty of power and I have not even done any mods to it yet. I raced the intermediate class (Before expert) in northern california, very fast class.

I have also been trail riding with the 250 at parks such as Carnegie. No problem climbing mountains However it does lose power near the peaks. You just have to work the clutch a little.

ENJOY!!!

• craig224

Posted June 17, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Go with the WR450. I just got one and I love it. Im glad I didnot go with the 250.:thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted June 18, 2007 - 09:32 AM

My Opinion? If You Weigh Less Than 175 Lbs, The 250 Will Work Just Fine For You, But The 450 Will Never Do You Bad. Go Big! She's Also A Beast. I Try Not To Get Her Off The Ground Too High. I Really Like Trail Riding Myself And Love My 05 450. I Rode Mine On The Street In Mexico And Realized It Could Have Some Higher Gearing To Keep The R's Down A Bit. As Far As Handeling? The Wr Has More Angled Forks And Just An All Around Better Suspension Package. Not So Hot On The Track, But Know A Few Guys That Removed All The Lights, Battery, Etc.... To Ride On Track And Liked The Handlin. Still A Beast Regardless. I Say Have Both Motocross And Enduro.

• Vinny2692

Posted June 18, 2007 - 03:51 PM

Well power is a bit of an issue, and in that department, the 450 sounds like the best choice. But i only weigh 155 lbs and im 6'0, i could probably get by on a 250. This is gonna be a tough choice, because i enjoy getting some air under my bike.

• FreeRideSouth

Posted June 18, 2007 - 04:14 PM

WR 250 weighs 234lbs you are sure to grow out of it!

WR 450 weighs 248lbs (14lbs more for the math challenged amongst us) you will be able to grow into it. Maybe hold off on the "free mods" until you need a little more pep. You can jump either, my guess is as good as you are jumping with your YZ 125 which weighs about 200lbs

Tough choice, but it is nice to have choises, eh!

• FastRides

Posted June 18, 2007 - 04:26 PM

Go big, Vinny!!! You won't regret it... but, you probably will if you get the 250. You'll grow into the 450 just fine as you open it up and like FreeRideSouth said, its only a little more weight. Many (including myself) have written posts about not knowing which one to get (even on the way to the dealer), and most have said they're happy they went big bore. Ultimately, you'll have to decide what's best for the type of riding you intend to do. Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.