slipper clutch for yz450

7 replies to this topic
  • warrior04

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:22 PM

I ride a lot of woods and i just came off of a 2 stroke. From what i heard the slipper clutch will eliminate a lot of the engine braking and thats really the only thing im not to fond of on my bike. So my question is how many people have installed a slipper clutch on their 450s and what do they think of it, and would they recommend spending the money for one or whether im overlooking something similar that i can do to reduce engine braking.

• Ronin 26

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:25 PM

a properly set up slipper will not eliminate engine braking.

• warrior04

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:40 PM

will it reduce it though?

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Don't confuse Auto Clutches, like the Rekluse, with a Slipper Clutch. An auto clutch takes care of applying and releasing the clutch, and is particularly useful in tight woods, etc., where there may be a lot of clutch feathering called for.

A slipper clutch engages under power, but either slips to an adjustable degree, or freewheels on deceleration.

I personally would never use one, but I love engine braking. The lack of it was one of the hardest things about going to a two-stroke MX bike for me (that was a while ago). But to each his own, I suppose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JimXCW

Posted June 14, 2007 - 07:01 PM

A lot of the supermoto guys use slipper clutches. My riding buddy installed one on his KTM 450 XC after riding Mike Lafferty's race bike which also had a slipper clutch.

Their primary purpose is to reduce / elminate engine breaking.

• warrior04

Posted June 14, 2007 - 07:07 PM

well im pretty sure im just going to wait awhile and try to get used to it. I think its just one of those things that since i have been riding 2 strokes for so long its just different and hard to get used to. Thanks for all the help

• Ronin 26

Posted June 15, 2007 - 08:20 AM

No we use them to eliminate rear wheel hop, they do not reduce/eliminate engine braking. Unless you set it up to slip huge the just disengauge the power slighly so the rear wheel does not lock up under hard decell.

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2007 - 09:38 AM

No we use them to eliminate rear wheel hop, they do not reduce/eliminate engine braking. Unless you set it up to slip huge the just disengauge the power slighly so the rear wheel does not lock up under hard decell.

How is that different than what Jim said? Any reduction is a reduction, and that is the primary purpose of a slipper, even if all it does is "take the edge off" of the sudden transition to engine braking that occurs on a high rpm throttle chop, as many do. Slippers are set up to give some degree of reduced holding power on decel. How much depends on the desires of the person setting it up. Some slip only a little, as you have said, some completely freewheel, and some do something in between those two points.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.