Check this helmet out that I won.

12 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:54 AM

1989 Shoei never worn, still in box.

Got it a few months ago on ebay for 21 bucks never realizing it will be almost a perfect match for the next bike I buy!! :thumbsup:

It's almost as if Honda took the colors right off that helmet for the 94 XRL! :thumbsup:

Note the cool open/close scoop on visor that directs air to vent holes in hemet. That's a rarity I think ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 06crf_er

Posted June 14, 2007 - 11:58 AM

hot helmet. What a match. I've got $22 right here to start the bidding:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted June 14, 2007 - 12:23 PM

that is a SWEET match man!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

• philipstjohn

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Nice buy! The helmet's tight, and the XRL looks to be in good shape as well. Ride on Brother :thumbsup:

• TDC71

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Keepimg it old school, I like it:thumbsup: What a match, Is that what they call "kizmit"?:thumbsup:

Todd

• LeadDoggy

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Sharp!!!!
nice helmet, nice bike, what a match!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tdamore

Posted June 14, 2007 - 02:30 PM

Cool match. Now you just need some OP shorts and some Zinka for your nose and you'll be all set :thumbsup: j/k man, thats an awesome lid

• ganshert

Posted June 14, 2007 - 09:13 PM

don't mean to be a buzz kill but...

arguably, a helmets usefull lifespan is 5 years from manufacture date even if it sat in the box for those 5 years

the idea is that the core breaks down over time and becomes less effective at absorbing an impact

http://www.shoei-hel...mx/rd_main.aspx
http://www.araiameri...rt/warranty.asp

I'm not trying to start an argument about this. I just thought I would give you this information and you can do with it what you want.

80s helmets do look cool by the way :thumbsup:

• HeadTrauma

Posted June 14, 2007 - 10:42 PM

I'd still wear it, being NIB and all. Besides, there are *some* independent testers that would contend that Snell rated helmets are less likely to prevent a brain injury than the cheap DOT-only ones.

Since when does polystyrene break down, anyway? :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted June 15, 2007 - 01:36 AM

ganshert has a point there and I take it seriously too.

I have heard that all along and been thinking about it ever since I posted but only 5 years for a helmet ? Just wondering if that's a bit premature in replacing it and they tell you that for larger sales volume?

I mean if just 5% of consumers listen to that, that's a lot of helmets!!

I have seen padding broken down on NOS (new old stock) helmets but the shell it's self gets weaker that has not been exposed to the elements? Maybe, I don't know ? :thumbsup:

The shell is fiberglass and polyester resin.

The safest thing to do would be to buy a brand new white helmet and have it painted to match this one . No clue who does that sort of thing though? Anyone know :thumbsup:

I just bought that helmet to collect anyway but man, since the match is so nice, it sure is tempting to wear it now !

• MartinDKtm

Posted June 15, 2007 - 05:39 AM

If new in a box. I would wear it no problem. If used I would not. As other said I think there's some marketing under all this. True if worn false if not.

• mcfly

Posted June 15, 2007 - 07:13 AM

don't mean to be a buzz kill but...

arguably, a helmets usefull lifespan is 5 years from manufacture date even if it sat in the box for those 5 years

the idea is that the core breaks down over time and becomes less effective at absorbing an impact

http://www.shoei-hel...mx/rd_main.aspx
http://www.araiameri...rt/warranty.asp

I'm not trying to start an argument about this. I just thought I would give you this information and you can do with it what you want.

80s helmets do look cool by the way :thumbsup:

I have 3 helmets, and while I could not tell you there exact age, a rough guess is about, 3 years old for newest one, maybe around 8 or 9 years for the next, and my oldest is likley around 13 or 14 years old...I still wear all 3, depends on the ride I have planned.

I guess I chose not to listen to the advice/rumours I hear, and figure a helmet that has not been dropped/crashed is still okay for me. :thumbsup:

• HeadTrauma

Posted June 18, 2007 - 09:44 PM

You also have to look at the liability for helmet manufacturers. Suppose they say helmets are good for 6 years, but it turns out the helmeted death/head injury rate increases dramatically after 5 years. What then? A truckload of personal injury attorneys get families to file wrongful death lawsuits and those helmet companies stand to lose tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars.

In the current scheme, their butts are covered if someone dies in a crash wearing a 5.01 year old helmet.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.